Rick_A

Well Known Member
There's another thread about updating the G3X to the latest software which also includes an update for the GDL 39. Rather than hijacking that thread, I'm starting this one.

I've got a GDL 39R hardwired to a 795 (which is working great). The only thing I can find on the GDL webpage says to perform updates to the GDL 39 from a one of the "compatible devices". The 795 is my primary compatible device but I could also connect to the GDL to my ipad mini via Bluetooth.

There is nothing on the 795 or GDL 39 webpages that mention new software for the GDL 39.

Should I update the GDL 39 using my ipad or should I wait for the update to come from 795?

I installed the GDL 39 Utility on the ipad and a trial copy of Garmin Pilot.

Should I update the GDL 39 using my ipad or should I wait for the update to come from 795?

I installed the GDL 39 Utility on the ipad and a trial copy of Garmin Pilot.

Hello Rick,

It is fine to go ahead and update your GDL 39R using the GDL 39 Utility. We will bundle GDL 39/39R V2.90 with the Aera 79X software the next time it is updated.

Thanks,
Steve

Updating the GDL39 using the iOS utility takes patience. The download of the update to the iOS device was easy enough but it too six attempts to upload the new firmware via Bluetooth. It was a bit nerve racking since it has big red text about not losing power during the update. It would get anywhere from 30% to over 80% and then report it lost the connection, or timed out, or too many retries. Any ideas what was making it so difficult ?

Last edited:
GDL 39/39R Software Update

Hello Rick,

Here is another way to update the GDL 39/39R software held inside your Aera 79X or Aera 5XX.

Connect your Aera to your PC with a USB cable, run WebUpdater, go to the Additional updates page, and select GDL 39.

WebUpdater.jpg

It will take just a few seconds for WebUpdater to push the V2.90 software to the Aera over USB. The Aera will automatically update the GDL 39 the first time it connects to it either by Bluetooth or serial.

Let us know if you have questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited: