blueflyer

Well Known Member
Are there any glass CDI/HSI's out there in the experimental world? I am wanting a glass HSI or CDI, something that is standalone and has no other functions but that of an HSI or CDI (like an old school round gauge HSI or CDI).

I know there are some nice ones out there in the certified world that have more functions than just the CDI or HSI, but I am looking for one that is more economically priced.

The Dynon D10A can operate as a full screen EHSI. It can also provide you with a full EFIS backup. You must have the HS34 if you want to use it with an ARINC device.

I thought about the D10A. It has more function (and costs about $2500) than I need. No sense in paying for the extra stuff if I don't need it. I am looking for solely a glass CDI, with no other functions.

I don't think what I am looking for exisits, but I thought I would ask in case I missed it.

Nothing I am aware of meets your specs....

The typical experimental consumer expects more for their $ and since our panels typically have limited space, the manufacturers tend to combine functionality. That is after all one of the advantages of glass...

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised no one has made a glass direct replacement for the MD200-306. I know people just use the HSI included in most EFIS systems these days, but it'd be nice to have a single unit for that second Nav. Considering how expensive the MD200 is, you'd think you could make it in glass for half the price.

Last edited:
I'm kind of surprised no one has made a glass direct replacement for the MD200-306. I know people just use the HSI included in most EFIS systems these days, but it'd be nice to have a single unit for that second Nav. Considering how expensive the MD200 is, you'd think you could make it in glass for half the price.

The other side of that argument is that for a little more, you can buy an EFIS.

Many EFIS can support two nav sources on the HSI.

TKM MC-60

You are looking for a

TKM MC-60 NAV CONVERTER

About $600 new from Aircraft Spruce or almost new on eBay for less.

2hwe0wp.jpg

I got one because I wanted a Stand-alone KX-155 for IFR operation. Has some extra nice features too.

CC

No question that this could have been a very interesting DIY project ... With the price of screens and small interface boards .... No technical reasons why you could not make a very nice looking unit ... all digital ... Then question is .. How much would you want to pay ? The TKM MC-60 does not 'look' very cool .. but if it does the job ... $ 600 is not a bad price ...

The MD200-306 looks to be about $ 2000 ish .... Would you pay .. lets say sub $1000 for a 'same looking' non TSO .. digital screen version ?? .... 1/2 the length or less and less mass as well ... ??