Mike D

Well Known Member
I have a Garmin GNS480 and a GRT Sport EFIS. Is there a way to turn an OBS knob? Say you want to intercept the 090 radial of a VOR and hold on that VOR.
Other than tuning in the radial and watching the radials tick down on the GNS480, how can you intercept the radial and have the pretty green lines on the EFIS line up when you are on that radial?

Scenario would be, you have a flight plan in the GNS480 and it is being displayed on the GRT EFIS. Now ATC instructs you to hold NW on the 090 radial. Short of adding a way point to the flight plan and setting up a hold, is there a simpler way?

480 & Horizon

I have GRT Horizon's and a GNS 480. I would think the Sport should work the same way.

If I'm doing VOR practise stuff, I find that using the HSI on GRT is the best option. Set the GRT to display the HSI. Hit the CDI button on the 480 and the course indicator on the GRT goes from green to white indicating that your using the VOR. Now turn the right knob on the GRT to dial in the OBS.

The easiest way to check to make sure it's working correctly is go Direct to the VOR using GPS, than switch to the VOR on the 480. You should be able to dial in the course deviation bar on the HSI so that it centers on your present heading.

On the HXr once I select the HXr Nav input to the VOR, an SL30 in my case, I can set the CDI course with the lower right knob. It works the same for setting up an ILS LOC.

GRT OBS

Everyone else is right on track. But you do need to set the GRT display unit's mode from GPS to NAV. That'll "wake up" the knob and let it set OBS. Yes, you want to be looking at the HSI page, and don't forget to configure your display unit settings properly to send OBS selection data to/from the GNS480.

Chris

Thanks Rick, Chris and RV8iator.
I knew it must be easy, but just couldn't find it. I'll go try these today.

Good info here, stuff I was still trying to figure out.

I moved this thread to "Glass Cockpit" for easier finding in the future.

Feedback to the 480?

... and don't forget to configure your display unit settings properly to send OBS selection data to/from the GNS480.

Chris

I have never been able to get the OBS out (from the GRT) TO the 480 to work properly. When I select the VOR with the CDI button, I get a "Flagged" message in the CDI window. The HSI on the GRT works properly and I've learned just to ignore the flagged message.

Is there a secret to get the correct "to" data to the 480?

Different system - I have an HX Horizon with a G 420 and SL30; but my HSI page will show whatever nav source is selected as the main pointer and CDI bar, and the other source(s) as RMI pointer(s). (plural because the SL30 can tune two VORs at once).
So for your scenario I would display the HSI page, continue navigating with the gps, tune the VOR, watch the tail of the vor RMI pointer smoothly move to 090, then select 'nav' on the GRT to go from gps to vor, then turn the hsi pointer to 90 or 270 depending on whether the hold was West or East of the fix (note the instructions won't be to hold NW on the 090 radial).
If the intersection of the radial and the gps course is a named intersection, I find it easier to enter that into the flight plan, switch the gps to obs mode, change the hsi pointer to 090 or 270 when I get there, don't use the vor at all.