Hi, I am in the planning stages for my RV-7A glass panel. I would appreciate any input for the best autopilot. I would also like input on the Advanced Flight Sytems 5600 series, Dynon Skyview and Garmin G3X. I plan on running dual screens. Also which nav/com unit people are most happy with. I plan on flying IFR when needed. Thanks Mark

Mark, I would contact Stein at Steinair, his ad is on the home page. Tell him what your needs are and he will give you all of the options that fit your budget.

As a happy customer flying behind a Stein panel for 5 years now I can honestly say the only problem I have had is not flying enough.

I would think the best way is to experience it yourself by finding friends with different glass panel and go flying to see which one you like better.
During my research (things may have changed a lot since) I came to a definite conclusion that for IFR flying and integration with other system, GRT and Advance are far more ahead then other counter parts. I have GRT with TT and 430W and the integration/IFR flying is so much easier and very seamless. Recently flew behind another brand glass panel and it was a day and night difference in complication and/or capability.

Time frame

You didn't mention where you are in the construction process. If it early, forget about the panel until you are about 6 months out. Things change so quickly and will continue to in the next couple of years. The only thing you really need to settle out as you build your wings and fuselage is the which auto pilot so you can mount the servos. Can't go wrong with Trutrak, no matter which EFIS you ultimately decide on.

You can't go wrong dealing with Steinair. He will give you the straight scoop and has competitive prices. I only buy panel related items from Stein!!

You didn't mention where you are in the construction process. If it early, forget about the panel until you are about 6 months out.
But it took 18 months to design ours :eek: (part time while doing all the other stuff)

Try to plan early, but commit as late as possible. I think totally forgetting about it until 6 months from final is a recipe for a less than what could be optimal outcome.

The sooner you start planning, the more you can optimise / iterate your panel concept, get to know the various avionics options and how they fit together. Also plan to at least look at each option in real life, either flying with someone else or at least getting the "touch and feel" at an event like Oshkosh. There are some aspects about e.g. EFIS's you simply cannot grasp from reading websites and manuals.

rgds, bernie

p.s. we are very happy with our choices, as we went into great detail about ergonomics, placement, functionality etc... it simply delivers the best situational awareness we've ever had in a plane for less $$ than many think. this doesn't say there would be newer equipment in, could we start over planning today. things happen so quickly in the avionics world.