Votes: 79 55.2%
  • Neither - I'm building a basic VFR panel

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

N941WR

Legacy Member
I'm curious what percentage of you are going 100% Glass, going old school (Steam), a mix, or have you built a such simple panels it doesn't really apply.

In my case, I put in a mix only because at the time I designed my panel there was a lot a questions regarding the reliability of all glass panels. If I were to do it again, I might not put in the steam gauges, then again, I might do it exactly as I have done.

Update/Clarification:
Radios, GPS Units, VOR's, and clocks are not part of the instrument package, for the purposes of this poll.
We are trying to get to the basic "six pack" instruments and engine instruments. (Yes, there are some people who are putting in backup engine gauges.)

If you are building a simple VFR panel and installing something like the Dynon D180 as your only instrument, then you are 100% glass.

(Maybe I should have added more choices such as "IFR - 100% Glass", "VFR - 100% Glass", "IFR - Mixed", "VFR - Mixed", etc. - Doug can you help?)

Last edited:
I put in the traditional 6 pack steam gages and a large screen GPS (KMD150). I'm just not sure about putting all the eggs in one basket and the glass panels I would have more confidence in are way out of my league.

JMHO

Roberta

Mine is basically steam with a Garmin GNS 430. It was that way when I bought it. Personally I would not likely go all-glass in case of a glass system failure. The large glass screens do look nice.

The "Neither" answer

I'm not sure why this is here under "VFR Panel Only"?

You can go glass in a basic VFR panel only with the Dynon D-180, as just one example...

gil A

Couldn't decide

I finally decided last month to go 100% glass, no round backups. Stratomaster Voyagers (2) with Garmin 496 as backup. Txpdr, TruTrak, audio panel, 1 comm, 1 nav/comm (nav indicated on Voyager), handheld radio as backup. Total redundancy for VFR, I'll take my chances with glass for the 1-2 hours of actual IFR per year I am anticipating.

I was going steam only. Then I did the numbers and switched to glass. (Dynon EFIS D-100 and a EMS D10) with steam alt. and airspeed backup. Saved a ton of money over going all steam.

Refine the definitions?

Bill,

I really like the question....but I am a little unsure as to your definitions. If we have an analog clock, do we choose the "mixed" response? I guess I tend to think of the "Steam Gauges" as mechanical gyros, and I put the analog ASI and Altimeter in a different class - I may well be alone in this. If by "All Glass" you mean no non-electronic backups, then the definition is pretty clear. Not picking on you by any means - would love to see an accurate poll!

I voted "mixed" because the Val has a complete EFIS and digital autopilot with triple GPS as well as VOR/LOC/GS...but also has analog ASI, Altimeter, clock, compass, and VSI....

Paul

I'm not sure why this is here under "VFR Panel Only"?

You can go glass in a basic VFR panel only with the Dynon D-180, as just one example...

gil A
Gil,

A basic VFR panel does not include things like an artificial horizon, VSI, etc. All that is needed is AS, Alt, compass, and ball. Engine instruments are limited to oil temp, oil pressure, tach, volt (if electrical system is installed), and fuel gauge. (If memory servers.)

In your example, installing a D-180 would be "All Glass".

Bill,

I really like the question....but I am a little unsure as to your definitions. If we have an analog clock, do we choose the "mixed" response? I guess I tend to think of the "Steam Gauges" as mechanical gyros, and I put the analog ASI and Altimeter in a different class - I may well be alone in this. If by "All Glass" you mean no non-electronic backups, then the definition is pretty clear. Not picking on you by any means - would love to see an accurate poll!

I voted "mixed" because the Val has a complete EFIS and digital autopilot with triple GPS as well as VOR/LOC/GS...but also has analog ASI, Altimeter, clock, compass, and VSI....

Paul
Paul,

Check the clarification I added. The clock I wouldn't include, otherwise a watch might push someone into that column. Same goes for navigational devices such as GPS units, they aren't part of the flight or engine instruments, even though they are integrated with the flight instruments on some glass panels.

Just started my tail kit, but planning on full glass with essential steam emergency backup. Mine will be a full time traveling machine for 800-1000 nm legs, operated 90+% IFR even in VMC, so a hard IFR panel with 2-axis AP is a must.

I just finished my 7 and have glass only as I fly VFR only. I have the Dynon D100 and 120 and after 5hrs of flying it I would never go back to steam. One other advantage to glass is that it's a lot lighter than steam gauges. Also the Dynon gives you free updates. When is the last time you got a free HSI upgrade on your steam gauges? Don

My 9A mission is day/night VFR, mix of local and cross-country, so a Dynon FlightDEK 180 is what I'm planning for instrumentation-no steam at all, not even round fuel gauges. The Lowrance 2000c Gps has an instrument page, so that will suffice for backup. Also both instruments will have backup battery power. I've flown a buddie's 9A with the small Dynon and no steam and found it took about 5 minutes to acclimate to glass. I'll miss the sound of gyros winding down after a fun flight though.................:cool:

100% glass for me: Two GRT EFIS displays, plus a Dynon D-10A as my backup. Backup batteries for each -- a 7.2aH battery for the GRT units and AHRS, and a built-in Dynon battery for the "little guy."

The other major panel components are an autopilot, Garmin 430, SL-30, GTX-330, and an audio panel. The steam gauges are G-meter, clock, and voltmeter. (Yeah, I know there are some redundancies there, but I like analog depictions for some things.)

I fly behind some fairly advanced glass evey day, and I'm completely comfortable with the concept, but I still had some serious discussions with myself before committing to a "zero-steam-gauge cockpit" in my RV. Now I'm very happy about the decision.

My old eyes ain't what they used to be...

Maybe it's just me but I find the traditional gauges easier to read at a quick glance. Some of the glass would require me to wear my reading glasses to see it :eek:, the big ole dials I can still see easily and in all honestly I think are easier to "compute" (slow brain maybe too!) than some of the tapes, scales and numbers on some glass panels. Lot's of info but if you can't read it easily and at a glance it's not that useful.

Glass.

Stratomaster Odyssey running the show, with a Dynon D-10 or Stratomaster Ultra for backup. I might do steam for backup MAP, a garmin x96 GPS, and I'll certainly do a standard wet compass. If I go Tru-trak for autopilot, that'll be my backup TC, but if not, I'll do an electric TC or HSI. I"m not running a vacuum system for just one instrument.

I plan to fly night/VFR cross country in fairly crowded airspace (CA, NV, OR cities), so positional awareness and communication is high on the priority list.

My 2008 wish list to Santa (MGL) is an Odyssey-compatible Mode S transponder, NAV/COMM, and stereo audio panel. ;)

Maybe it's just me but I find the traditional gauges easier to read at a quick glance. Some of the glass would require me to wear my reading glasses to see it :eek:, the big ole dials I can still see easily and in all honestly I think are easier to "compute" (slow brain maybe too!) than some of the tapes, scales and numbers on some glass panels. Lot's of info but if you can't read it easily and at a glance it's not that useful.

Walt, I had the same concerns as I remember the digital speedos on the mid 80s cars that were hard to interpet. I was comfortable with my Dynon in less than 5 min and the more I fly it the more I like it. Instead of a scan all it takes is a glance at one instrument to get all the info you need. Don

acronyms

I'm wrapping up my IFR flight training. The school put together the following acronyms for required equipment to assist with Oral preparation.

Day VFR

T-Tach for each engine
O-Oil Temp guage
M-Manifold Pressure for each engine
A-Airspeed Indicator
T-Temperature guage
O- Oil Pressure guage
F-Fuel guage
L-Landing Gear Position Lights
A-Altimeter
M-Magnetic Compass
E-ELT
S-Seat belts

Night VFR

F-Fuses
L-Landing Light (if for hire)
A-Anti-Collision lights
P-Position Lights
S-Source of electrical power

Required IFR Equipment

G-Generator or Alternator
R-Radios
A- Altimeter (Sensitive)
B-Ball (Slip and Skid Indicator)
C-Clock w/Sweep hand
A-Attitude Indicator
R-Rate of Turn Indicator
D-Directional Gyro

Oh yeah. All glass for me. After flying Flight School POS 172's I'm very appreciative of my "All Glass" panel.

OLD SCHOOL

All steams
No Vacum pump
Minimum equipment list.

I like looking out the window.

Will have Lowrance 2000C
and Trutrak ADI II
CD/MP3/DVD PLAYER (CO-PILOT) GOT TOO HAVE:rolleyes:

LOOKING GOOD