larryj

Well Known Member
Does anyone have input on how much glareshield overhang they used and if they would do it differently next time ??
I am fitting the Boot Cowl on my Rocket and have the rough-cut Boot Cowl sheet cut oversize. At this point I can trim it to any overhang from the instrument panel. I can imagine for example, trimming it flush with the instrument panel and regretting having done so. I'll bet there's some optimal range folks have found from experience.

custom glareshields

Larry, I determined the glareshield shape and size for my RV 4 slider by turning on the instrument panel at night and positioning stiff paper on the standard glareshield where the cockpit lighting and displays would not reflect in the canopy. I then shaped and taped the pieces together to form a templet before the final cut. I'm sure the Rocket will be slightly different. It's attached with velcro. Here are some pictures.

Bill McLean
RV-4 slider
lower AL

There is a compromise between enough overhang and creating a head injury hazard. I find the stock RV overhang to be about right.

Carl

I plan on using a HDPE foam extension. Safe and effective.

Like the HoodMan setup on video monitors...

The Rocket is way different than the -4, and can have a substantial overhang without being a head/face injury concern. My -4 (standard tipover) has very little overhang ,which is actually part of the canopy, and I am going to make a foam piece that can be velcroed or snapped in place, as it takes nothing to be a head/face injury object in a -4. My friends Rocket has a fairly large overhang, which is essential with glass cockpit, but the panel is much farther forward than a -4. If I was building my -4 over again, I would inset mount my panel 4"-6" for just that reason.