avi8tor50

Well Known Member
Getting ready to rivet the top forward skin so I can get to work on the windscreen. All wiring and plumbing done and functional.
How many of you out there made vents in the top forward skin to use as defroster? For those of you that did what size openings did you make and what type of pattern did you use? Photos would be helpful.
Are people painting that portion of the glareshield that overlaps the top edge of the instrument panel going into the cabin and if so is there a prerred color (black?)
Finally, I suspect that there will be s few rivets on the top forward skin that I cannot buck. What type of pop-rivets have folks used?

All help appreciated!

Thanks.
Peter K
9A

BTW, to clarify. For painting the glareshield I am referring to the UNDERSURFACE, that is the bottom of the portion of the glarehield that overlaps facing aft.

I just did this. I simply painted the underside where it overhangs the panel with flat black. On the upper side, I did put in vents & computer fans that push about 10cfm. I simply made a template of a fan grill, lined it up with the fan mounting holes, selected the place on the cowl boot, and cut them with a dremel tool (no slips). Be sure you know where the wind screen meets the cowl boot. It is very easy to get these to far forward.

On the topside, I marked where the windscreen meets the cowl boot. Taped off the line, carefully applied 3m spray contact cement and used dark naguahide to cover this portion. After drying, trim with a razor blade. I went to Advanced Auto Parts and got some door edge protector in black and slipped this over the aft edge of the cowl boot and naugahide on the edge. It really came out nice. You can also trim out the holes in your fan vents with the dremel. Whole project looks custom made, very clean.