jsisk

My recent RV-14 build used common plastic trim strip to finish/soften the aft edge of the instrument panel glare shield - easy, common solution. However, my night lighting LED flood strip on the bottom of the glare shield was directly visible and overpowering. I found an automotive trim on Amazon that is a little larger and softer, but also includes a sealing bulb in the profile that extends downward enough to shield the LED strip from direct view. Really makes a nice difference. The PN on Amazon is B07HR3NWY8, costs about $10 for 5 ft. See images.

Attachments

• glareshield lighting B4 20230330.JPG
    glareshield lighting B4 20230330.JPG
    392.7 KB · Views: 194
  • glareshield lighting after 20230404.JPG
    glareshield lighting after 20230404.JPG
    499 KB · Views: 208
  • automotive molding on RV glareshield 20230404.JPG
    automotive molding on RV glareshield 20230404.JPG
    310.2 KB · Views: 206
  • Glareshield edge Molding profile comparison.JPG
    Glareshield edge Molding profile comparison.JPG
    303.1 KB · Views: 199
Thanks for sharing

I’ve been thinking of adding some LED lighting. Thank you for sharing this idea and PN.

Hey Jonathan,
Great idea. I have the same situation on my RV6. I have some of that soft trim material on my windshield to glareshield junction (slider canopy with a vinyl cover) to trim it out nicely. I also have the glareshield trim piece for the sharp edge of the glareshield metal. I can get that soft seal piece locally, and it comes in different sizes, so I should be able to come up with a piece that hides the light strip without intruding on appearance of the IP. Thanks for the tip.

AF1A75F5-6032-4F5B-ADE4-FF2909195F67.jpg

The ‘67 GTO looking “tach gage” is actually my AOA indicator - line of sight while landing. It’s lit with a 3 LED section of the glareshield strip light strip, taped to the gage glass below the IP glareshield metal. Looks really cool at night.

Last edited: