dwilson

Well Known Member
I know this was addressed a while back, but I cannot locate the thread. What works for protecting the aft edge of the glare shield? O better yet protects the pilot from the aft edge of the glare shield if his head gets too close?

Thanks
Duane

Most guys use the push on trim. It snaps on and has a molded stitched look to it.

I found it in grey at the local Fabric shop that has an automotive section with all kinds of beads etc.

I think Cleveland sells it. Probably $3 a ft. approx.

lots of good picts in the 7 show us your panel thread. Or actually any of the show us your panel threads.

I got some 1/2" rubber hose from a local auto parts supplier, split it lengthwise, and pushed it on. It was cheap, looks great, and is cushion-ey enough that it will do the trick.

Cheers

Glare Shield Edge

I chose to use a length of the aluminum brake line, slit length-ways and pushed over the glare shield edge. I really didn't think that it would be a permanent solution, but it looks good and probably as effective as any rubber hose version.
Martin in Oz

www.mcmaster.com
p/n 8451A22
8451al1l.gif

$0.41 per foot (let's just say, um, "affordable")

The edging that Dan illustrated is what I used. Stuff is easy to work with, cheap and looks great.

Thanks again for sharing that Dan.

Regards,

That's it!

Thanks Dan,
I looked on their site but didn't know what to call the stuff and came up empty.

Duane

Specialty paint stores

Any specialty auto paint stores will have a variety of trim available. I got some stuff like Dan illustrated that has a glue bead in the middle. It looks great is relatively soft and easy to install.

dwilson said:
Thanks Dan,
I looked on their site but didn't know what to call the stuff and came up empty.

Duane
Just put the part number 8451A22 in the white field under the "Find Products" tab, select the Find button and brings you right to page 3537 of the catalog where you will find the vinyl edge trim.

Larry
http://lrosen.nerv10.com

Aluminum Tube and Thin Black Rubber Tubing

If you have an accident that edge is going to cut through softer stuff and plastic will turn to granules over time. I split 3/8" aluminum tubing and pressed it over the edge, then I split some 3/8" rubber tubing and glued it over the aluminum tubing.

Bob Axsom

get the edge trim with the metal in it

They make an edge material like the one Dan posted that has a segmened stainless steel "spine" inside of it. Maybe the stuff Dan posted has it however I'm not sure since I didn't check into it. We use it here at work to protect webbing straps from being cut by the metal plates they wrap around. The straps place THOUSANDS of pounds of stress onto this edge material with out cutting thru it. So I would think it should keep the glare panel from cutting thru the edging when say the pilots forehead hits it! :eek:

Outwater Plastic supply sells this edging, however you need to buy a huge spool of it.

Yep, the stuff McMaster sells does have metal U-shaped inserts in there. It's not contiguous metal reinforcement but nearly so. The inserts also help the edge grommeting hold its "grip" on whatever it's gripping.

it comes in gray, grey. :rolleyes:
403066yi.jpg

40306001trim2wo.jpg

been sitting around for 4 mos. unused, a bit of rust.

Last edited:
Mark Manda

Mark,
Is your edging from McMaster-Carr Part # 8451a22 ?? Their catalog only shows black for that part no.Yours looks like it may have an inside gripping edge on both sides.
Anyway yours (color and all) is just what I'm looking for.If you Can let me know If the supplier/part number is different (or the same)I would forever be in your debt.
Thank's
Bob

Glareshield

The easiest and quickest way is to use some sort of tubing as previously suggested. I decided to make a lip for my RV-6 because I thought it would look better. I used a piece of .025 aluminum I had in my shop, scribed a line for the curve of the glareshield, measured about an inch or so from each side of the line and cut it there. Then I bent it into a U-shaped channel, made notches so I could form it to conform to my glareshield curve, and flush riveted the flange of the 'U' to the edge of my glareshield. This gave me a one inch lip down from the edge and covered the edge. I then put automotive headliner material on the glareshield and wrapped it down around my lip. I used automotive vinyl roof contact cement (very strong) to glue it in place. If you use this stuff, make sure you have it in the right spot before letting it set down, because you won't be able to move it. After three years of flying my RV-6, it still looks great....in fact I don't think I've ever seen a glareshield I like better. Headliner material is a foam-backed material that comes in a huge variety of colors and textures. And it's not supposed to fade in the sun. I got mine at a warehouse here in Cincinnati that sells foam and other stuff. It is also sold here at an auto upholstery shop (where I had my floor carpet edged). It took me about 3-4 hours to make the lip and less than an hour to cut and glue the foam-backed material on. A little time, creativity, and a helpful mother-in-law will give you an interior that looks like a BMW. All of my interior materials and sound proofing(not including the Oregon Aero leather seats) weigh less than 5 pounds and is very quiet and warm in the Cinci winters.

Scott

sorry bob, I just the saw the shout out for me. as the kids say.

no, I didn't get mine at M.C. if you haven't already; go do some legwork at fabric stores and you'll find it.

I'd send it to you free if I wasn't so cheap. :)

also, I think I may have blown it and cut it too short anyway. but it should work for another project.

I think it looks very good since it has a faux stitched look to it, and it's grey which matched for mine.

anyway, I went a different route thanks to a guy named Brett in TX, probably similar to the above glareshield.

mark