flickroll

Well Known Member
I am working on an RV-8 that was previously flying. The former owner had the GPS and compass mounted on the glareshield. I want to relocate the satellite antennas (GPS & XM) to fwf, under the cowl. I will also remove the compass and use the Dynon D100 with remote compass for my 'legal' compass. The problem is I will be left with holes in the aluminum. I would like to cover the glareshield with a material, probably vinyl, and also have a nice soft edge guard on the thin metal lip that would split your head open in an accident. What have others done? DIY, or buy one somewhere? I'm pretty picking and don't think I'd do that good of a job with a DIY effort. Does any company make these ay a reasonable price? Thanks

Cleaveland Tools offers a nice black vinyl/fabric glareshield cover and a black edging that slides onto the aluminum. I'm guessing other providers have them too. I have used them on all my airplanes and they provide a nice professional finish to your glareshield. Here are a couple of pictures of mine on my last Rocket.

Canopy77.jpg
Rigging178.jpg

Glareshield cover

I used automotive headliner material. It comes in numerous colors and has a foam backing. On my RV-6, I glued it down with contact cement. On my new RV-8, I just used the 'hook' side of velcro along the edges. The hooks grabbed onto the foam very well and I can take it off (probably ripping the foam) if I need to. I got my material at a foam company here in Cincinnati. They had lots of the stuff. I paid about $30. for a piece big enough to do at least a dozen RV's. I fact I have some left if you want a piece. It's a charcoal gray somewhat stiff velour. I made a lip on the front of my glareshield and wrapped the material around and under the lip. You can also buy the material at most automotive upholstery shops.

Scott
RV-6 SOLD
RV-8 FB - in paint shop

Mooo

Go to your local upholster and ask about leather remnants in the color you are looking for. Dyed hide holds up well under UV (depends somewhat on color), does not off gas like plastics, vinyls, and many synthetics, and looks great.
Glue down with 3M spray adhesive and edge with the Cleveland Tools glare shield edging.
I think I paid $30 for enough hide to do three or four airplanes.