Wardo

Over a year away from VAF and I'm finally back. With my hangar construction complete and -8 kit purchased, its time to get back to the fun stuff, although, I'm having a time making sense to my future bride why we had to have a 60'x80' hangar with a 48' door to build an airplane with a 24' wingspan that is 21' long. She "kinda" understands.

I've managed to get my hands on an O-360 A1A with a hartzel constant speed prop hooked to the front of it, both of which will go into overhaul directly. I am looking to maybe do a custom grind cam, horizontal fuel injection and a tuned induction and exhaust system just to add a little kick without taking away the reliability. I will be looking for a deal on a horizontal induction sump if anybody knows of one.

If anyone has any good info, links or pics of any kind of engine upgrades for lyc 360s please share.

My -8 lit was bought from one of my neighbors here at Sky Ranch. He bought the kit in 1997 and never touched it. Is there any problems with this older kit or any mods that I might need to do before i dive to deep into this project, anything to bring it up to date.

I like the Tod's canopy, probably going to go that route. Any input is welcome.

Most importantly, if any fellow RVers are around the Florida panhandle, stop by and see us. We are located about 1.5 miles north of the Crestview VOR, CEW, at a airpark called Sky Ranch, 18FD, 3000' grass strip (very smooth), freq-122.90. Come see us, I'll buy you a coke.

Cheers,
Wardo

This what helped me

Wardo

I have similar aged kit that I?m building, built tail and wings some time ago and am now on the fuse after about a 10 year layoff.

This is what has been really helpful for me.

1. Buy a late version of the preview plans, note: not the latest version when they upgraded the fuse. I think Vans still sells these. (If not send me a pm.) This will give you all the important drawing updates and changes. i.e. rivet change on the fuse sides from 1/32 to 1/8 near the undercarriage box.

2. Buy the latest version of the preview plans as they have a lot more info as far as finishing the aircraft and prepunched parts.

3. Compare these plans with yours and you will find that they pre-punch a lot more of the parts. Some of these parts will fit an older kit. F802G&H L&R are now pre-punched and fit the older kit. These parts are fairly easy to make in the older kit but when it comes to offering them up and drilling them to the floor they are not so easy where the pre-punched parts will fit and be accurate without having to struggle to line them up. Rear seat back sides and even the rear hanger attach for the control column can be used. I have brought the above parts and others and they saved a lot of time and from Vans as always good value for the money. Some parts will not fit like the rear lap seat belt attach. So you need to check.

4. Another point is to check for corrosion under the plastic laminate on the sheets. I have had to replace some of my parts. Others I have painted to await use.

5. Have your undercarriage legs tested for hardness as some of the legs shipped about this time were not hardened correctly. Vans can give the figures of the hardness required.

What kit number is it.

Good luck on the build
Rob

Wardo when you finish try a SARL race

You are doing the power part of performance improvement and you might as well see how it works in the real world of head to head competition in cross country air racing. You probably won't be ready for a couple of years but hopefully SARL will still be going strong. They are up to 18 races in the US and Canada this year with a heavy concentration in Texas but it is spreading coast to coast. Go to www.sportairrace.org and click on Calendar of Events.

Bob Axsom

Glad to be back

Hi Wardo,

My 8 has a Lyc O 320 150 Hp, in it that got overhauled one year ago. It now has high compression pistons in it and a phase 3 camshaft, which bumped it up to about 175 Hp. Used to do 147 KIAS, but now does 156 to 160 KIAS (below 4000'), at 2450 squared. Incidentally, I bought the airplane from your neighbor, Ron Miller at 18FD, 4 years ago. I assume you know him? Red & white checkerboard plane? I'd send you a pic, but I don't know how to attach pics on VAF.

Don

Ron Miller owns a hanger on the other side of the strip from me. Great dude. ill tell him youre doing well.