danielabernath

Well Known Member
If you have been following this saga then you know about how they pushed the plane from the rudder trim and bent it.
How they overfilled the oil and it dripped over the front wheel pant and the hot oil burned the white top paint job.
How they bumped the gascolator and it drips oil.
THEIR PROMISE:
no charge
We'll repaint the pant (but we didn't do anything wrong)
We'll replace the nozzle on the gascolator that we didn't bump but just co-incidentally is dripping.

Can't get them on the phone.
They won't send me an email
OK, OK
So, I went to Vans and bought a new nozzle for the gascolator. MY ONLY QUESTION is when it comes in, do I put some lubricant or sealant on the threads of the new nozzle after I take out the old one.

If you have been following this saga then you know about how they pushed the plane from the rudder trim and bent it.
How they overfilled the oil and it dripped over the front wheel pant and the hot oil burned the white top paint job.
How they bumped the gascolator and it drips oil.
THEIR PROMISE:
no charge
We'll repaint the pant (but we didn't do anything wrong)
We'll replace the nozzle on the gascolator that we didn't bump but just co-incidentally is dripping.

Can't get them on the phone.
They won't send me an email
OK, OK
So, I went to Vans and bought a new nozzle for the gascolator. MY ONLY QUESTION is when it comes in, do I put some lubricant or sealant on the threads of the new nozzle after I take out the old one.

I question the leaking oil......

Yes, you should use some thread sealant.

I question the leaking oil......
That is troubling. But I saw the drip stain of oil on the underside at the gascolator hole. I could not see anywhere else where there was oil so (a miracle occurred) and it went straight from an overflow pipe and to that hole on the underside.

I burped the engine and the oil is where it should be.

I'm going to learn everything I can about the engine and the aircraft. I don't want to be helpless again against those people who are economical with the truth (and have my life in their hands).

I would put myself in the category of minus knowledge about RV-12 / Rotax. So, FWIW, if you have oil residue, it may well be coming from somewhere else and that's just where you happen to see it (gascolator). So, before ripping the gascolator apart, find the true source of the oil leak.

If it's fuel, then I'd probably use fuel lube (I think it's now sold as "EZ Turn") on the threads being very careful not to get any - even the smallest glob - near where it could enter the fuel system. (The same goes for other sealants if you don't use fuel lube.)

Dan

... find the true source of the oil leak.

Among many, many other reasons to do this, imagine how PO'd you'd be to get that wheel pant all repainted nice and neat, then have the *same problem* ruin your paint job *again* (not to mention the possibility of, you know, engine "issues" due to low oil).

You can use fuel lube on fuel valves and it will come in to contact with the fuel and it is not an issue. So it should be fine on those fittings.

There are places that give courses on engine maintenance and even assembly for rotax and lyc and clones. Find one and take a course. It ain't brain surgery. Even if you still don't want to do you're own work, at least you will be more knowlegable and less easily taken to the cleaners.

I have a couple in their 60s who rent hangar space from me. They are knew to aviation and have a tecnam LSA with a 912. The took a 2 day course on their engine and they do all their own maintenance. Knowledge is power.

The other thing you will find out in a course, where you will meet other people is who the best mechanics are if you do need professional assistance.

Have you checked the credentials of those so called A&Ps? There are those out there calling themselves A&P who have never been licensed. It is very easy to cheat, I had annuals for years on a Piper 140 Cherokee, one day I got a letter from the airport, the guy had no credentials whatever!

Since the crankcase vent line outlet and mechanical fuel pump vent outlet are co-located with the gascolater on the RV-12, is it possible that the "dripping" you are experiencing on your nose wheel pant could be from one or both of these outlets? Granted, on a ROTAX 912-powered aircraft, such drips should be virtually none existent.