WyoDave

Well Known Member
I'm in the market for a flying RV. I've never bought a plane before, so steep learning curve:eek:. Anyway, I've mostly considered 6's due to price range and it fits the mission of fun flying, cross country with passenger, and hopefully someday acro:rolleyes:. However, I may could stretch the budget enough for an 8. Given your druthers, would you prefer a 6 with a 360/CS or an 8 with a 320/FP?
David Daniel
Pinedale, WY

I'm in the market for a flying RV. I've never bought a plane before, so steep learning curve:eek:. Anyway, I've mostly considered 6's due to price range and it fits the mission of fun flying, cross country with passenger, and hopefully someday acro:rolleyes:. However, I may could stretch the budget enough for an 8. Given your druthers, would you prefer a 6 with a 360/CS or an 8 with a 320/FP?
David Daniel
Pinedale, WY

Depends on if you have a wife, plane to keep her and how much she likes to look at your profile vs the back of your head. Mine prefers my profile = RV-6 or 6A. :) I would like the view from an 8 as I like to look down equally on each side. When you throw in the engines you listed I would probably go for the 6 again as acro is in your future if you are even giving it a slight thought now. Just MO. Both are great planes.

Go with the 6, you'll love the second seat. It's a handy place to keep to keep the beer cooler, or a wife. Seriously, a 6 is a better traveling machine, IMHO.

I had a 6 and now fly a 8. My 6 had a 320 the 8 is 200 horse CS. A huge performance difference.

I doubt anyone can answer this question for you.

I like the centerline seating and my wife likes her own space in the back.

I really like the 8 better but with only a 320 fixed, I would probably take the 6 with the CS 360.

You need to evaluate this for yourself.

8's are really cool. They have lots of storage area and are fantastic XC planes. With the 8, you will sit centerlne and have the stick in your right hand. With the 6, you will have it in your left hand. Matters to some and not to others. You need to see if it matters to you before you buy!!!

In the 6, passengers will like being up front with you and will feel more a part of the flight, not that they would not have a great time in the back of an 8.

IMO, both fly great. I've heard from others that the 6 is harder to land, but that has simply not been my experience. My 6 is really easy to land. For me, I really love my 6 would prefer to have it than an 8, but there are lots of really knowlegeable guys on this forum that would feel differently.

If I were you I would fly both and pick which one gives you the bigest buzz.

You should compare airframes with similar powerplants. A 2 place RV with 180CS will blow away the one with the 160HP FP. On the other hand, a light engine and prop may give you handling charachteristics you prefer if you like a lighter more agile control feel. BTW, weight difference is affected more by prop selection than engine selection.

In the end, you will find neverending differences of opinion on all of these choices, but only one counts. Yours.

If you are looking at two flying planes that are currently available now, build quality should be a major factor in your decision. You will find huge differences. If you are new to this, you should solicit the aid of someone knowlegeable in RV's to help you in evaluation of the purchase. Typically there is a strong correlation to price and build quality. Spend what you need to get a well built airframe.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input

As you mentioned, build quality is my primary concern. I've been scratching my head over how to find someone half way across the country that I could trust and is genuinely knowledgeable of RVs:confused:. I had limited my search to 6's because I figured that was my best bet to find a well built plane in my price range. Then I see this 8 with O320/Catto in Ohio that is close to my $ range. It looks nice. But verifying quality has me concerned.
Also, I mentioned this in a previous post, but I've only got about 95 hrs with no TD. So transition training is definitely in the plans. I've sent a note to Alex D but have not heard back.
Thanks again:)

They are both good in their own way...

Hi Dave.

I've solo'd and flown with passengers in both models - they both have their strong points.

Nutshell:
- 6 is harder to land consistantly (springy gear)
- 8 back seat is more roomy than you think
- travelling solo is easier for me in the 6 (can lay stuff out in pax seat)
- many more, but you see my point hopefully.

Like others said above, you gotta figure out what you want - and they are all good choices (no wrong answer in this case - both great models)

b,
d

Think Contrarian

Right now the market has a pretty big price difference between a six and an eight. Percentage-wise is it much greater than say the speed differential between the two. So, I think the six is a better value than the eight in current market conditions.

Hans

No shortage of advice around here!

Thanks for all the replies and emails. I've moved a 6 with 360/CS to the top of the list. The one that looks most promising is only a 1000 miles away in TX. Looks like a road trip is in the works. The 8 with 320/FP is now ranked 3rd on the list. I'm sure I'll be thrilled with any of them as long as they are well built:). We'll see what happens...

I understand the appeal of the RV8 but

O360 plus CS beats the O320 FP any day. Plus I am not fond of sitting in the back.

6 versus 8 is a personal preference

Taildragger versus tricycle is a personal preference.

Last edited:
Do all -6s have the leaky straight canopy hinge (tip-up)?

If not when was the change made?

And was the leaking problem really fixed w/ the -7 tip-up design?

Glenn Wilkinson

Early '90s.

The original straight hinges on the tip-up canopy were replaced in the early '90s with the "trunk" style hinge arms.
My kit originally came with the straight hinge arms. But the new style came out while I was building.
My-6 has been flying since 1993 and I've had no problems with leakage.

Granted, one major factor is whether or not your first officer wants to sit next to you or not - but don't make the decision until they have actually sat in the back of an -8! I've heard from several folks dedicated to side by side that it's nicer back there that they thought before actually having experienced it.

As for a -320 powered -8, the FP option does limit things, and I know that's the option you're considering. Does it save you substantial purchase price? If you think you might upgrade to CS one day, the -320 can give some very impressive performance. Example - that -320 bumped up to 160-hp and with a CS prop *will match* 180-hp FP RV-6A. Been there, done that.

Generally, you'll only notice performance difference as compared to your buddies when flying together. And are you going to blast off and leave them behind just so you can show them you have 20 more hp?

Flying centerline with a stick in the right hand and throttle in the left is much more appealing to me personally. Also, I like the clear view left and right for acro, formation, or whatever.

Everyone would like the big engines. But don't write off the -320s based only on the displacement.

2 cents more opinon on the topic to think about.

Last edited:
Low Pass
The particular 8 that I've seen on Barnstormers with 320/2 blade Catto is the only one I've seen that approaches my price range. It would still require stretching what I had planned to spend. All of the other 8's I've seen are considerably more $. It also does not have an AP, which would be nice for cross country. The AP isn't a show stopper and I think could be added later. The 6 which is now at the top of the list does have an AP.
Thanks for the input:)

... It also does not have an AP, which would be nice for cross country. The AP isn't a show stopper and I think could be added later. The 6 which is now at the top of the list does have an AP.
Thanks for the input:)
Dave,

Don't let the AP be the show stopper. They Dynon AP's are very easy to install and can be done for $1500. And BTW, the Dynon AP's are VERY nice! They have really developed a nice product. (I'm beta testing their AP and that's about all I can say. For more info, check with Dynon.)

My guess is that a 6 comparable in every way will be cheaper than an 8. Just market forces.

If you cost down an 8 to be in your budget will you ever be able to sell it?

Thanks Mel....just what I needed to know.

Thinking of buying or building a 6/7 for x-c travel, but the thought of giving up my -4 nearly makes me sick.

Glenn Wilkinson