rbibb

Well Known Member
Now I'm not one who has strong belief in ghosts, or other para-normal phenomena. But over the weekend my inclination to discount such stories was, if not erased, at least shaken a bit.

I'm working on the RV-10. At the stage where the front and mid section of the fuselage are bolted together at the spar carry-through in order to drill the bottom skin rivet holes where the bottom skins overlap and will get riveted to the spar carry-though assemblies.

I had completed the procedures and was in the process of unbolting the parts in order to complete the ritual of debarring, dimpling, and ultimately riveting the skin in place.

The scene was at the point of removing the large bolts that tie the two spar carry-through assemblies together. All was well until I encountered a couple of bolts that were a bit stubborn and refused my gentle efforts to remove them. I am working on the starboard side with the fuselage sitting on a table I had built to hold it. I decided to enlist the aid of a bit of mechanical assistance in the form of a small dead-blow hammer for to tap the bolts a bit. Said hammer was located in my roll-away tool box located on the port side of the aircraft so I walked about the front of the table to retrieve the hammer and returned forthwith. Estimated time enroute was on the order of 5 seconds roundtrip.

Upon arrival, hammer in hand, there, on the top of the spar where it extends from the fuselage side where the bolts that provided so much angst pass through I was confronted with one AN-4 bolt, estimated length 1.25", sitting vertically on top of the spar assembly. Not so strange you say to find a random piece of aircraft hardware lurking amidst the organized chaos of a construction project? Well here's the rub. At no point in the efforts to that point had occasion arisen to use an AN-4 bolt in efforts so far. There was not an AN-4 bolt within 15 feet before the stray perched vertically in such a delicate fashion so placed as my supply of such were firmly resting in their storage bins firmly attached to the garage wall awaiting their fate at a later stage of construction.

So I think to myself - how did that get there? I was there not 5 seconds before, had not employed such device, had no such devices within arms reach, and, in its perilous perch, would not have remained in that place for long given the mount of movement employed to shift the fuselage assembly around as it was worked on prior to its discovery.

In fact, quite shaken by the event I retired from working thinking I a) either had help in working on the project I had not solicited nor welcomed, or b) was suffering from some manner of senility offering a warning of steep mental decline.

After a bit I returned to work. Shaken and still not in possession of any reasonable explanation for the phenomena I had just witnessed.

Richard Bibb
RV-4 N144KT
RV-10 - future result of pats scattered throughout the environs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Our clinic is able to help

Did you hear any voices Richard? Do you remember what day is it? :D

Sounds like the AN4 bolts the RV9 guys were forgetting to put in the spar that generated the SB. Everyone still kicking at Van's? Could have been a Van's Aircraft ghost that mistook you for a -9 builder?

According to Wikipedia, Clifton, Va. was a native American hunting ground and an important source for timber in the Civil War. Helpful spirits lurking around? Seems plausible.

Don't laugh...

There is a force in my shop that takes over my mind and causes me to make incredibly stupid mistakes. It also moves every tool I have just used and cleverly places it among the clutter so I can't find it. :D

...a visit by the Ghost of RVs Past !?

.... or maybe .... the Ghost of RVs Future ??!!! (Don't tell the wife.)

...a visit by the Ghost of RVs Past !?

.... or maybe .... the Ghost of RVs Future ??!!! (Don't tell the wife.)

I agree and saw this in the movie the 6th Sense
i-see-vaf-people.jpg

I have a number of tools that, over the years, have mysteriously disappeared.

I think you should return them immediately! I'll send my shopping, oops, I mean a list :D

It's a spooky story, alright, and I would think it was weird too if it happened to me. On a positive note, let me know if any of my missing odd socks turn up. I have never been able to work out where they go. One day they're in my drawer, then they disappear. I have a theory that our washing machine warps time and space, but at least your friendly ghost is helpful and brings you things. That can't be all bad! :)

Helpful Apparitions

I lost some money once... but it's been so long I don't remember which President was pictured.

If you see any bills at your shop standing up, lying down, crumpled, folded or in your hand (are you sure YOU pulled that money out of your wallet?), please let me know.

At least your ghost adds items. My ghost, like most, hides items I set down just seconds before, playfully hiding them for several minutes. Then they re-appear in plain view when the ghostie gets tired of the game.

My ghost likes to hang out in the hangar... He makes sure I eventually find that lost tool, But insists on torture by making me put away all the tools from both wings. The funny thing is...He follows me home and hides in the garage where he performs the same sick behavior...

Mine has an interesting trait, with my build partly in the garage at home and partly in the hangar at the airport, thru mind control he makes me think the tool or whatever I cannot find at the location I am at, is at the other location.
That alone would be just fine, but while I am on the way to the airport to retrieve the item, he then moves it from the airport back to my garage at home, making it a wasted trip and time.

Now, if you can only put those ghosts to work On the project. You'd be done in no time.

I kept hoping Santa's elves would help me with mine during the off season but no such luck.

Strange forces

I don't know about ghosts but I am positive there is either a worm hole or perhaps a gate to a parallel universe in my work shop. When that screw or nut falls to the ground it is never to be seen again. No matter how long I spend crawling around the floor it is never found, hence my theory. Yep, there is some place "out there" where a great big pile of various RV hardware is sitting forever unfound.

Perhaps they also have RV's in that universe and some individual dropped a bolt and it reappeared sitting on your wing!!! What if, for that brief moment, your workshop was the point of contact with the alternate universe?

Mmmmmm...interesting.!!!!

Last edited:
You had me there for a bit. Now if you had come back and those pesky bolts had been removed for you that would be a story.
Ryan