SmittysRV

Well Known Member
Probably in next day or so, I'm going to start riveting my forward side and bottom skins on. I've noticed that some builders are not riveting the skins to the firewall at this stage. I was wondering why. Also, on the bottom skin there are two rows of rivets on the firewall, one on the firewall itself the parallel angle support directly behind the firewall. If I don't rivet the firewall as others have done, should I rivet the parallel angle support?

Thanks for your help!

20090415_05.jpg

The forward row of rivets is often held off until you are ready to do the cowl attachment. Various factors, such as the thickness of the cowl, what type of fastener (piano hinge or dzus), can affect shimming, etc. so it's not a bad idea to wait. The rear row can be riveted at this time.

Re-reading my previous post, the last line may be ambiguous. The rear row can be riveted now, along with other riveting to tie the firewall to the fuselage (corner weldments, etc.). Only the rivets on the forward row (the flange of the SS firewall) are delayed.