Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
OK, a quick question...the plan is to hang the engine this weekend (fingers crossed). I have an IO-360-M1B, the stock Van's engine from Lycoming. I know there is a fitting that needs to be installed before hanging the engine...I believe it is one of these:

http://vansaircraft.com/cgi-bin/cat...4-64-285&browse=engines&product=pump-fittings

For a stock installation, which one is correct? Are there any other *mandatory* items to install *prior* to hanging the engine, on the engine itself?

I've done all the platenuts for oil pressure lines, the cabin heat box, the battery bos, the various doublers for fuel lines, the transducer manifold, etc., so I believe the firewall is good to go. This will be a CS prop, no vacuum pump installation.

TIA!

Steve-a-reno

the fuel fitting you showed can go on anytime, it's an easy fit.

You need to have the 45* angled oil pressure fitting installed which goes next to the right upper motor mount.

Also fit your governor, bracket and cable adjusted prior to hanging. It's no fun afterward.

Steve,
You're probably thinking of the oil pressure gauge fitting. Looking at the engine from the pilot's perspective (from behind) the port is found at the upper right corner, close to the dynafocal mount ear. 1/8" NPT, not the 9/16-18 SAE straight thread fuel pump fittings in your link.

That's it! Thanks, guys...

Is there a source other than Van's for this? I couldn't find an ACS catalog item for this...I don't mind paying Van, but their delivery time *kills* me :(

I couldn't find any alternative sources when I installed mine. Some people advocated making homemade ones.

I ended up buying three, and they did seem pricey. One for oil pressure, one for fuel pressure, one for manifold pressure.

That's it! Thanks, guys...Is there a source other than Van's for this? I couldn't find an ACS catalog item for this...I don't mind paying Van, but their delivery time *kills* me :(

Plenty of sources for a steel NPT-to-flare, but perhaps not with the restrictor pre-installed. Easy to make a restrictor.

How come my plans don't seem to call out restrictors anywhere. They're needed, did I miss it in the plans (RV-10)?