Paul K

Well Known Member
As I go over everything one more time in preparation for the airworthiness inspection, how far do I have to dissemble and how deep do I have to open up everything for the inspectors? What do they want to see?

I would ask your DAR. Mine wanted the plane ready to fly with only the inspection panels removed and the upper cowl removed.

As said before, ask your inspector.

Personally I want the aircraft opened up as if doing a condition inspection.
I want to see all airframe and engine control hook-ups, and all fuel connections.

Each inspector has his own requirements.

Without throwing stones at anybody except the FAA, isn't it strange that a DAR may go from a glance at the fully assembled aircraft, to checking most everything you have done. It would appear that the instructions to DAR's are lacking in specifics, resulting in the broad range of "requirements" as a DAR sees fit.

Without throwing stones at anybody except the FAA, isn't it strange that a DAR may go from a glance at the fully assembled aircraft, to checking most everything you have done. It would appear that the instructions to DAR's are lacking in specifics, resulting in the broad range of "requirements" as a DAR sees fit.

The latest version of FAA Order 8130.2 spells out what is required.

You are correct in that a little more than a glance (thorough preflight inspection) is all that is required by the order but most DARs since they are being paid and putting their name on the Certificate do more than is required to make sure that the aircraft is in a Condition for Safe Operation.

Actually what most DARs do for an inspection is above and beyond what is required by the FAA.

Technically all we are required to do is confirm that the aircraft "meets the requirements for the certificate requested".

As far as safety goes, the applicant is required to sign off that "The aircraft has been inspected in accordance with the scope and detail of FAR part 43 appendix D and found to be in a condition for safe operation."
Any further inspection, that most DARs do, is what we do as a courtesy.

Also, our detailed inspection check list can be very helpful to the NTSB if the aircraft is ever involved in an incident. One aircraft that I certificated was involved in a fatal accident several years later. Although the accident had nothing to do with my inspection, the NTSB guys were impressed with my thorough inspection.

OK, so Gary types faster than I do!

Last edited:
Let me clarify:

The inspection is being done by the local FAA, and being used as a training program for new inspectors. I had a call from them this morning to clarify and answer some of my questions. They have informed me that I need the RV in flight ready condition with the inspection covers and cowl removed.

They also stated that if anything additional needed to be exposed, I would be able to do that at the time of the inspection.

Remember, they came to me and asked me if they could use my project as a training platform for their use! They are being very nice to me so far, just not very clear on what they need. They assured me that I will get a certificate even if I have to do anything and they have to come back. They want to work with me to get their folks trained and to get me certified, one way or another. So far, this has been a lot of fun and very educational. Got to visit and see the inner-workings of their office and staff.

I have a call with them Friday to further clarify what they need and will post it. I'm sure I'm not the first builder who has been "used" by the FAA. :eek:
Let me know how it went!