java

Well Known Member
So... I've had my RV6 for awhile now. I'm going places. I'm having a hard time leaving her out while I travel, and I'm finding the stress a problem. Tie downs are just not like the home hangar, and I find that I can't relax and enjoy my trips when I'm constantly worried about my "baby".

I have good tie downs, a canopy cover, etc. I guess I just need to get over it? These planes are just too good at traveling not to.

No Worry

I have been flying our RV-6A since March of 2004 with many over night and longer stays at a significant number of different remote airports. I always put the canopy cover on, tie the plane down well and "lock" the controls. There have been no problems. I think the cover is a sign that you don't want any visitors and so far that sign has been effective.

Bob Axsom

You can always search around for FBOs with overnight hangar space to park at if it makes you feel comfortable. These are often bigger FBOs with higher fees but you will also find some smaller FBOs that may be willing to accomodate you. Beyond that, check the weather and enjoy your overnight.

The odds of getting hit by a tornado are pretty slim, and unles you are headed into an area known for lots of hail (and the forecast shows a likelihood for storms), what's the worry?

These are good airplanes - with a canopy cover and tie-downs, they'll do just fine. Don't make the lack of a hanagr change or ruin your plans - just go out and enjoy the world!

What is it that worries you?

Jase,
What exactly are your fears? Worried about weather damage? Or is it more of a theft issue? Your options to deal with weather are limited and other posters have covered them.
Regarding theft, many radio manufacturers design their products to be easily and quickly removed. Generally, a single [sometimes quarter turn] screw will release a radio of this design type. You do need to have your instrument panel designed to allow the radio to be removed from the front.
I know that Icom radios have this feature. I believe that some Garmin products also fall into this category. You could remove all easily removed avionics when you tie her down. Put them in your flight bag and take them with you to the motel.
You could also install a hidden switch between the battery and the master switch to deter theft.
Charlie

Try scattering some 9mm casings and ketchup around the perimeter.

LOL!

When I started flying a lot of cross countries for Jabiru, I was surprised at how often small airports are willing & able to accomodate small airplanes in a hangar overnight, usually for less than $30/night. A heavy duty canopy cover is an absolute must for parking outside. It helps keep people from getting too curious and makes me feel better about protection from heavy rain. We found out the hard way at SnF that Bruce's Custom Covers will heartily withstand a tornado. :rolleyes:

I will feel the same as you about leaving my RV outside when its done! Full hull coverage will be a must before any airshow.

Try scattering some 9mm casings and ketchup around the perimeter.

Now that was funny!

Tie it down and watch the weather. Rain, snow, wind, no problem. Get nervous if hail is coming, but most FBO can find a hanger. People just don't mess with airplanes.

Last edited: