jdeas

Well Known Member
I'm lucky enough to get a ride up to Osh this year in an RV6. With a week of camping ahead of me is there a way to ship luggage to OSH in advance? Sending it back UPS ground works for getting it back home.

I talked to some people a couple of years ago..

They were camping with their plane (two people and a small plane kitfox?) and ask how that got all there camping gear in their plane. I was told that the only had taken a small amount and had the rest shipped by UPS to them at OSH. Before they would leave they would go over to the UPS station and ship some back.

Good luck.

Kent

EAA & UPS

JD I sent EAA a suggestion a few years back about getting UPS as a sponsor and possibly getting them to set up a tent for a few weeks at Air Venture to accept packages (camping gear) from EAA people attending with small home built planes and then having them send the stuff back home after the show. :D Sounded like a good public relations move to me. They could have even used the UPS plane that brought the stuff as an exhibit. Didn't get any answers. :mad: I tell you I would definitely use the service if offered. I flew out there a few years back in a Ercoupe and I had almost no room left for myself after I loaded up my gear. Any RVer's out there that work for UPS. They should think about trying it before FedEx gets the idea and beats them to it. ;)

USPS

The post office is right on the North edge of the airport just a few blocks from the main terminal building. For those camping in the north 40 it would be a short walk over to the Post Office from your camp sight to the post office. You could ship it to that PO general delivery, walk across the field pick it up and be good to go. Last year we had two Ercoupe's with two people fly in to OSH. They shipped their items through that post office with no problems.

Here Ya Go

In anticipation flying my new RV to Oshkosh this year I picked up this info from both UPS & USPS on the fairgrounds last year. Unfortunately, its back this year in a spam can for me.

So here's the addresses for those of you that have weight and cube issues with getting all your stuff to Oshkosh. These are located AT Airventure not somewhere else in town.

UPS - tel: 920-231-1623
Attn:_________
The UPS Store
1528 S Koeller Rd
Oshkosh, WI 54902

Indicate on the package either "Bring to Tent" or "Leave at Store" The "Bring to Tent" means to the UPS tent on the fairgrounds, not your sleeping quarters. The "Leave at Store" means going to the UPS Store in town.

For US Mail
P.O. Box 2096
Oshkosh, WI 54903

*** UPDATE ***
I just called the UPS Store because we were debating mailing some of my flying club stuff up there and I was told that they will not have a tent at Airventure this year.

Last edited:
could do like I did. I went to REI and got the back packers special. THe quarter dome ul, two 1.5 inch air pads, two sleeping bags good to -15, two chairs w/backs. All this stuff came to under 30 pounds. THe tent is under 6lb. the sleeping bags are 3.5 lbs ea. the chairs are both together 7lbs. I confirmed all this with a fish scale. The sleeping bags were put in a compression bag size large and will compress real small, the tent is a small bag, the air pads roll up into a small bag. I've gone camping twice with this setup and I'm very pleased. Oh! I'm flying a kitfox4, so weight and space is a big issue. This next week is Arlington, can't wait. I wish I could send stuff to an airshow, but it doesn't seem to be doable. Then there is the question, what if? what if it doen't make it?

allbee said:
could do like I did. I went to REI and got the back packers special. THe quarter dome ul, two 1.5 inch air pads, two sleeping bags good to -15, two chairs w/backs. All this stuff came to under 30 pounds. THe tent is under 6lb. the sleeping bags are 3.5 lbs ea. the chairs are both together 7lbs. I confirmed all this with a fish scale. The sleeping bags were put in a compression bag size large and will compress real small, the tent is a small bag, the air pads roll up into a small bag. I've gone camping twice with this setup and I'm very pleased. Oh! I'm flying a kitfox4, so weight and space is a big issue. This next week is Arlington, can't wait. I wish I could send stuff to an airshow, but it doesn't seem to be doable. Then there is the question, what if? what if it doen't make it?

Steve,
I do ultralight hiking here in Ca. Lots of good stuff with low weight but I don't really want to go comando style :rolleyes:
UPS is cheap and keeps my CG forward :D Thanks guys for all the input. I will post something on the outcome after the show.

Here's an alternative thought. Target or Walmart or whatever you favorite
big-mart store is, is just a short ride from the field. Buy what you need there
after you arrive, on the cheap, and mail it back when you are through with it.
Seriously, we buy cheap tents, chairs, coolers, blow up mattresses and other
items (booze/ice) when we are there and usually donate it when leaving. Just
take your clothes, electronic devices and necessary items, buy the rest of the
bulky items there.

I've done this for two years now and will do it again this year.

UPS - tel: 920-231-1623
Attn:_________
The UPS Store
1528 S Koeller Rd
Oshkosh, WI 54902

Just called the store. They charge $5 per package and are already holding packages for EAA. They suggest your name and "EAA" on the package. They will also arrange to meet you at the airport to receive and send you stuff.

Thanks Mike R. for the info :D

Last edited:
I like the idea of sending stuff to OSH, good to hear that you can do it. I don't like the idea of buying a cheap tent and other stuff. I know the weather at OSH and it always rains at night and many times during the day. Good stuff is really worth the trouble and the expense. My 2cents worth.