rvator9a

Well Known Member
I'm looking for suggestions for improving ingress/egress on a side by side slider. I have seen a few posts about roll bar handles and arm rest reinforcements, I'm curious whats really needed and what works the best. I have young kids and I don't want to have to worry everytime one of them gets in and out of the plane.

Ingressing Slider

I brief all first-timers. I point to the canopy rail, the canopy brace, and the two red handles I have on my front canopy bow and tell them that is where they can grip. I say step up onto the wing using the foot closest to the fuselage on the step,stand up on the wing black area facing forward, then step into the middle of the seat facing forward and then slide down into the seat. Then I help buckle them in, show them the headset volume and headset and mike orientation.

After the flight I instruct them to remain seated until I come around and assist them out. I remind them again of the three handhold spots, tell them to stand up on the seat cushion facing forward, step out facing forward. Then I assist them to find the step with the foot closest to the fuselage and then down to the ground.

Pilots are usually tougher to board than novices. Perhaps novices listen better???

rvator9a said:
I'm looking for suggestions for improving ingress/egress on a side by side slider. I have seen a few posts about roll bar handles and arm rest reinforcements, I'm curious whats really needed and what works the best. I have young kids and I don't want to have to worry everytime one of them gets in and out of the plane.

You will always have to worry about where hands and feet go, especially hands and the windshield fairing.oops, crunch!

Stepping on the seat is a pain. I flip both seat cushions vertical against the seat back, step onto the spar top sheet metal beside the sticks, lower butt slowly while sliding down bottom cushion while holding fingers behind the roll bar. No messy seat. You can sit on the seat back before this procedure. To get out, feet up against spar on floor, hand on canopy rail, push up and hook heels on bottom seat cushions as your feet come over the spar.
Works great.

Little ones should always be assisted. Carefully brief everyone before starting on where not to step or grab.

Metal Windscreen fairings.

I made my windscreen fairings out of .032. They are very rigid and can bear quite a bit of weight. So, I have no worries about placing a hand on the fairing and windscreen to assist in getting out. You can not get away with that with composite fairings.
In making metal fairings you will also get to learn a new skill with an English Wheel. I only threw away two sets before I got it right. It still took less than a day to get them done. My English Wheel was passed around through various builders on loan and there are quite a few RV's running around with nice metal fairings as a result. So, chances are, you can find a wheel in your local area.
They look great and you never need to worry about cracked fiberglass or filler as it is a very natural place for people to accidently put their hand.

I have a metal fairing as well but they won't bear full weight of someone. Ask me how I know. You don't really need an English Wheel to turn these out, just a pattern and a big piece of 5052.

rv6ejguy said:
I have a metal fairing as well but they won't bear full weight of someone. Ask me how I know. You don't really need an English Wheel to turn these out, just a pattern and a big piece of 5052.
5052 is much easier to form, and deform. I used 2024, which is much more difficult to wheel, but much more rigid. Forming the compound curve with the English Wheel also adds a lot of rigidity where as a flat piece of sheet will be easy to deform.
It would be difficult to bend the fairings if made out of .032/2024 and rolled with a compound curve. I am sure it would bend if someone sat on it though.

I just worked mine over a piece of round tubing with a slight arc in it. Worked pretty well but would be nice to have 2024 ones for sure. :cool:

I laid mine up out of a couple layers of good, heavy Carbon Fiber tape over a thin layer of glass. Now I think you could stand on it and it wouldn't break - Lord knows enough people have tried whilst getting in and out of the plane!

That being said, I've still managed to close the canopy (in the hangar) with the handle facing forward, and I'm afraid even the carbon fiber doesn't like that too much. I have a little "divot" in the fairing from that needs to be filled in :)

Cheers,
Stein
RV6 Slider, MSP

has anyone thought of building a small rolling step to assist pax in and out?

Roll it up to the plane let them get in. Then you pull it away and enter whatever normal way you use. When exiting reverse process, get out fetch boarding ladder / stand let pax egress

I guess the thing I'm wondering, is it nesc to have a handle on the roll bar and is it nesc to reinforce the arm rests to prevent bending them.

No handles etc. are necessary

I have flown several young eagles, small and large - some that can barely see over the canopy rail and others that are well over 6' tall - male and female. None of them had any problem what so ever getting in and out of my RV-6A. I am 70 years old and getting in and out of the sliding canopy RV-6A is no problem for my wife and I. I did two things that are related to the process but not essential.

First, protection of your seat. I bought a small rug from Home Depot and cut it to cover the seat with a notch for the stick. I just used it that way at first but it shead particles off of the back and edges. I cut a piece of cloth to cover the bottom of the rug and a piece to go around the edge. I sewed these in place and it has been perfect ever since. I put the rug in the seat and the passenger steps directly on it to get in and out of the plane. Young Eagles just sit on it but I pull it out from under my wife before she sits down completely and arfter she raises up I put it under her to get out. Very simple - even a little special sometimes.

Second, protection of the arms. The support points to work your way up off of the seat are the cross bar behind the seatbacks and the canopy rail. We found ourselves getting small cuts on our inboard arms while getting out of the plane. It happens when the forearm contacts the sheetmetal of the seatback. My solution for that was to mount a piece of 1/16"x1/2"x1/2" aluminum angle across the gap at the top of the seatbacks. The angle is mounted with a #8 flathead screw at each end and a platenut on the two seatbacks. The angle is countersunk to accept the screw heads. The angle between the seatbacks is padded and upholstered. The padding is a wide piece of flat foam cut to the width to be padded between the seats. You have seen these rolled up pastery cakes or rolls I'm sure and that is what the foam looks like wrapped around the center of the angle. On side is sprayed with 3M Super 77 upholstery adhesive and when it becomes tacky, press one end to the angle and wrap it around so the foam sticks to the previous layer. To upholster it requires three pieces of upholstery, one for each end cap and one for the exterior wrap. The end caps look like fat asterisks so you can fold the edges over the exterior surface without doubling up the cloth. Make cut outs fot the angle in the center of each end cap, spray on some super 77, when tacky press them in place and fold over the tabs. For the main surface cut a piece of upholstery that is 1.5" wider and longer than the foam surface. Cut off the corners so that the edges can be folded over and produce a rectangle of the size necessary to cover the pad without overlapping at the corners. Spray Super 77 on the backside edges of the cloth and when tacky fold the edges in to adhear to itself (finishing the edges). Then spray the cloth inside surface and when tacky apply it to the outer surface of the foam. Finally, take a needle and thread and sew the main surface to the end caps and itself. No more cuts and no maintenance required since implemented.

Bob Axsom