pmnewlon

Well Known Member
I have notched and formed the angle for the top of my instrument panel. I drilled the stop holes first then notched with straight snips. Any recommendations on how to get a better notch without the slight wave that snips leave? Am I being overly sensitive?

2pqj8qp.jpg

I drilled, then used the bandsaw to cut out the notches, followed up by a file to smooth the edges.

I have notched and formed the angle for the top of my instrument panel. I drilled the stop holes first then notched with straight snips. Any recommendations on how to get a better notch without the slight wave that snips leave? Am I being overly sensitive?

2pqj8qp.jpg

You know I have a band saw that is 50' away in my hangar? I should be out there tonight and this weekend.

bob

You know I have a band saw that is 50' away in my hangar? I should be out there tonight and this weekend.

bob

Hey Bob - I have been on vacation this week, doing a little work in the hangar during the day :) I plan to be there Saturday though too! Thanks!

the horror

I think you should be more concerned about the fact that you're bleeding all over your panel.

I think you should be more concerned about the fact that you're bleeding all over your panel.

Ha! As a matter of fact, I did offer some blood to the aircraft builder-gods today. The red in the pic though is the 'AL' of 'ALCLAD' printed on the sheet :p

I'd drill, snip and debur. It's hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like you have to run a round file into the v notch a bit more anyway.... Metal and sharp corners are an invite to cracks.

Drill, snip, file, sand and then a few taps between two pieces of wood and you are done.

If it's too thick to snip, then use a cut off wheel.

I suspect that the wave you're getting would go away if you make the notches a bit deeper. If they go completely to the other leg of the angle, the bent piece will bend smoothly.

greg