edneff

Well Known Member
I want to get some dual in my RV7, and the local CFI is asking if I can have him as a named insured with a waiver of subrogation.
My insurance carrier says that as a named insured he would be covered up to the maximum limits of my policy and that the waiver is not necessary, and is not typical.
Does anyone have experience with this kind of situation? Pros and cons?
The CFI has lots of RV time and does mostly tailwheel instruction.

I am not an insurance expert, but I have spent lots of money over the years insuring my various airplanes. It is my understanding that here is a difference in coverage between a "Named PILOT" and a "Named INSURED". A Named PILOT is just someone that the insurance company agrees is qualified to fly the plane -- though unusual, the insurance company can choose to subrogate against the Named PILOT if there is negligence involved. A Named INSURED basically receives the full coverage / resources of the policy same as the Owner. A potential issue with having a number of Named INSUREDs is that you are now dividing up your limited legal defense coverage among more defendants.

I strongly encourage you to talk with your insurance company and get their response in writing (good luck with the "in writing" part). ;)

David has it right. If he is a named insured he is covered. If he is a named pilot or flying under an "open pilot" clause then he needs the waiver.

Oh, and by the way, if the CFI is compensated in any manner, it is likely that the Owner's insurance coverage will not cover the CFI's "commercial" activity in your aircraft. The Owner's insurer usually assumes that the CFI has his/her own commercial coverage for such commercial activity.

Ah, the dreaded "named insured". The part of the airshow season I really don't like. "Here is the list of six (6) named insured entities we need added to your policy..."