CharlieWaffles

Well Known Member
I have noticed that some of my baffle fabric isn't sitting as flush against the upper cowl as I would like. I can see some "puckering" or "waves" along the back side where it should be flush with the cowl interior. What is the best way to encourage this to sit flush? A small cut V channel in the pucker?

DE29AD1F-CE09-4BF1-B43B-EBD725750030-378-000000137A48589F_zps375341cc.jpg

I found that too wide a strip is a problem. Have to sneak up on the best width. Don't go too far or it will flip back...

Thats what I did, not saying that will fix yours but it worked for me.

A few short slits in the pucker places should not hurt either as long as the uncut part still contacts the cowl.

Pretty soon you will see marks on the cowl and the rubber and will be able to tell where your leaks are. It happens pretty fast.

Baffle sealing is more art than an exact science. It takes trial and error.

Any good rule of thumb on how much fabric should be in contact with the cowl itself? I'm wondering if my fabric is indeed too tall and is bending over too much.

Just cut one slit from the point of the pucker out. That'll make that pucker lay down. Later after it imprints, you can reevaluate.

Looks very familiar. I had the same issue in the same corner. In my case, it never ended up laying flush.

I would do as airplaneslakes says. Rerevit with fabric pulled down to contour better with the upper cowling shape. You should end up with puckers or folders in between the rivets which can easily be sealed with a bit of RTV.