Paul Thomas

Well Known Member
I had pretty much stopped building my airplane I divided my time between school, work and chasing girls. I started and almost finished the empennage as an undergrad but the MBA didn't allow enough time to give the RV project the attention it deserved so I put it aside. I graduated in December and I got back on the horse by doing the aileron and flaps, I just have a couple more pop rivet (on order) to go before I call them done. I look forward to moving on the the real wing tasks: fuel tanks and the main structure, it should be fun. My goal is to close the wing by the end of the summer as I'll be heading off to law school.

To those that are not able to build, there is a light at the end of the tunnel and you will get back on your horse too.

Education is more than school

I think your time building the plane will give you a look into a side of life that most MBAs and lawyers will never experience - and they don't care. Formal education is the key to success in business and that must come first if you are to actualize your potential. Creating an airplane with all of its skill requirements, conceptualizing the systems, integrating them, testing and refining them will set you apart from your peers. Who knows, it's not to late to pursue a science or engineering degree.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
Keep going

NOOOOOOO! Don't do law school! Stick with your MBA.

As far as the plane goes, keep moving forward, it will be worth it. I wish I had started building before I went to law school. I would probably be done by now. Thinking about the end result is what keeps me going in the crazy hours I am working now.

NOOOOOOO! Don't do law school! Stick with your MBA.

As far as the plane goes, keep moving forward, it will be worth it. I wish I had started building before I went to law school. I would probably be done by now. Thinking about the end result is what keeps me going in the crazy hours I am working now.
What is your take on going to law school? Where did you go and which area did you concentrate on? In your last sentence, are you referring to completing the airplane or law school?

Ouch...

I seriously considered going to law school a few years ago... until a very good friend pointed out that if I graduated I would then be..... A LAWYER. That pretty much iced it.

Seriously, as someone else noted, don't let school get in the way of your education.

Good luck, whatever you decide. Sounds like you are definitely a hard worker and disciplined enough to build an airplane.

Hey Paul,

See the PM I sent you. I gave you a diatribe on law school ;-)

My last sentence refers to finishing the plane. I couldn't wait to get out of law school!

Antony

What is your take on going to law school? Where did you go and which area did you concentrate on? In your last sentence, are you referring to completing the airplane or law school?

Nothing is wrong with law school or being a lawyer. But neither is conducive to leaving a lot of time for building. If you have enough time to build during law school, you are most likely doing something wrong.

You can PM me if you have questions about either.

Nothing is wrong with law school or being a lawyer. But neither is conducive to leaving a lot of time for building. If you have enough time to build during law school, you are most likely doing something wrong.
I absolutely agree. I almost went to a night/weekend law program at Lewis & Clark / NW School of Law while I was also running a consulting office. I quickly came to my senses and decided I should focus on the job I already had (since it paid the bills).

You will find plenty of MBA / "executive MBA" programs where you only have to go to class 4-6 times per month for 12 months.

I started on my glider license while I was a graduate student (Env. Chemistry). I quickly realized that I needed to spend the time instead working in the lab and and the money on groceries. I'm glad I did.

TODR