Sparrowhwk

Patron
Hello all - especially DAR's.
After 11 months, I have finally received the registration certificate for the new N-number for my RV. (I applied for the new N-number when I purchased the RV).
I believe the last step is to now get the Airworthiness Certificate updated (re-issued) with the new N-number.
Months ago, I called the FSDO to find out their take - and unsurprisingly they were less than helpful. I was told the AC update is now only done via an online application and was sent a link via email. That link didn't go to a valid website and was useless (shocked, I tell you).
I didn't pursue it as I knew it was going to be several more months until I got the new Reg and nothing could be done until I received it. Now I have the new Reg Cert, and I'm ready to finish the process.

So I am hoping the brains trust here can help point me in the right direction:

1.) Do I also need to get the Ops Limitations updated / reissued?
2.) Can a DAR do this or can it only be done through the FSDO?
3.) Is my best course of action to call the FSDO again and try to find someone who knows what to do? (I am about a 2 hour drive from the office - and I don't think they do in-person visits.

I am in N Arizona and the Scottsdale FSDO would be the one covering my area.
Thanks for any suggestions and/or recent experience information.

After 11 months, I have finally received the registration certificate for the new N-number for my RV. (I applied for the new N-number when I purchased the RV).
I believe the last step is to now get the Airworthiness Certificate updated (re-issued) with the new N-number.
Months ago, I called the FSDO to find out their take - and unsurprisingly they were less than helpful. I was told the AC update is now only done via an online application and was sent a link via email. That link didn't go to a valid website and was useless (shocked, I tell you).
I didn't pursue it as I knew it was going to be several more months until I got the new Reg and nothing could be done until I received it. Now I have the new Reg Cert, and I'm ready to finish the process.

3.) Is my best course of action to call the FSDO again and try to find someone who knows what to do? (I am about a 2 hour drive from the office - and I don't think they do in-person visits.

A DAR can provide this service. Some FSDOs are desperately undermanned.
The Airworthiness Certificate (8130-7) is printed now on the same paper as the Ops Lims so it’s a two-fer anytime something changes. You can look up the requirements for the new N number requirements in FAA Order .

The online portal is called AWC and is how you request DAR services.

Since you are amending the C of A with the change in Reg. #, you will get an amended certificate with the currently issued operating limitations (If you were only needing a replacement because the certificate and / or limitations were lost, you could have been issued a Recurrent (replacement) certificate with operating limitations equiv. to your originals).

The application process that most all FAA offices now seem to except (though by current national policy, my understanding is that they are still supposed to accept paper copy 8130-6 forms for what you need to do, but it seams local office policy doesn't follow that) is by using the on line AWC system (Airworthiness Certification). A link to this system is probably what the FSDO tried to send you.

Here is the link

Here is the link to the main info page which also has links to other references such as the user guide for AWC

In AWC (once you have registered for a user account) you need to apply for an amended certificate.

An ASI in you local FSDO should be able to do this for you (for free) but is seems many offices now seem to be under staffed or don't have anyone that feels up to doing a certificate for E-AB aircraft (or both), so they often refer applicants to a local DAR.

Any DAR with the function code for E-AB should also be able to do it for you, for a fee, but with that fee you should also get one on one help navigating AWC and getting the application properly submitted (less likely to get that from the FSDO, but maybe possible).

You can search for Designees near you with this search tool

You will need a DAR with the following function code -

A DAR-T with function code 147
or
a DAR-F with Function code 57

Last edited:

I just went through that with the North Dallas FSDO, and they then don't call it an update, they call it a replacement so you don't need to use AWC. There's no application to fill out. You just need to get the FAA Form 8050-64 authorizing it from Oklahoma City. Nothing else. Any Inspector who knows what they're doing (finding that one is the hard part) can do it in less than an hour for free. That's how long it took to do mine AFTER I wasted weeks with a clueless inspector.

Most DARs can also do it and they'll charge you but at least you won't have to wait to see if you hit the lottery and got an inspector who knows his job.

Thanks for the very helpful replies, much appreciated.
Having not had much luck my first attempt with the FSDO, I am willing to pay a DAR to do this, in the hopes it will also ensure correct, most up to date Ops Lims.
That being said - I used the designee search tool and appropriate codes as provided by Rvbuilder2002 above - and there were no hits, Nada, nothing!!
So either I am not using the tool correctly (seemed straightforward enough), or I am living in a DAR wasteland (more likely).
Can anyone suggest a DAR that I could try - preferably somewhere in Arizona or within reasonable access? (I can airline pretty easily if they are in a larger city if that's the best option).
Thanks again for the help!

Why do you need a DAR in Arizona? I did mine over the phone and he emailed it to me, so I would think any DAR anywhere could do this for you via email or phone. Mel can confirm.

I just went through that with the North Dallas FSDO, and they then don't call it an update, they call it a replacement so you don't need to use AWC. There's no application to fill out. You just need to get the FAA Form 8050-64 authorizing it from Oklahoma City. Nothing else. Any Inspector who knows what they're doing (finding that one is the hard part) can do it in less than an hour for free. That's how long it took to do mine AFTER I wasted weeks with a clueless inspector.

Most DARs can also do it and they'll charge you but at least you won't have to wait to see if you hit the lottery and got an inspector who knows his job.
Not sure exactly what you are saying here. The 8050-64 only authorizes the change. If you didn't submit a new 8130-6, how did you get a new airworthiness certificate showing the new number?

Not sure exactly what you are saying here. The 8050-64 only authorizes the change. If you didn't submit a new 8130-6, how did you get a new airworthiness certificate showing the new number?
I didn't submit a 8130-6. That form is if you're applying for a new or amended certificate, I already have one. Last year I filled out an 8130-6 when I bought the plane and was changing names from previous owner to new owner.

In fact, since the inept inspector was taking so long to do the one hour request, one night out of frustration I went online and filled out on AWC an 8130-6. The next morning a knowledgeable inspector called me and told me that he was cancelling that form because it's not needed to get what I needed. That's when I learned I can't call it an "update" or "amendment" when it's an N number change, it's called a "replacement". I then just emailed the FSDO the 8050-64 showing that Oklahoma City tells you to go to the FSDO for a replacement. There's no official FAA document to fill out however the North Dallas FSDO has this unofficial form they fill out for N number changes. The inspector did everything.

Attachments

• 8050-64.png
    8050-64.png
    525.9 KB · Views: 24
  • Local Generic Form.png
    Local Generic Form.png
    141 KB · Views: 25

For a N number change it will be a replacement certificate. Send the FSDO a request for a replacement certificate due to the N number change and attach a copy of your 8050-64. A replacement certificate only requires a letter requesting it and the reason for the replacement.

For a N number change it will be a replacement certificate. Send the FSDO a request for a replacement certificate due to the N number change and attach a copy of your 8050-64. A replacement certificate only requires a letter requesting it and the reason for the replacement.
That's a synopsis of what I said this morning.

Last edited:
If you are happy with your current Op Lims, that's true. Most of the people I deal with want to update their Op Lims to the latest version and/or want to change the phase I flight test area to their current location. This requires an "amended" A/W.