ClarkieSr

Does anyone know if you can get a N number before the aircraft has an air worthy cert. I just received confirmation for a reserved number today and it stated in order for it to be assigned they need a written request describing the aircraft by manufacturer, model and serial number. Has anyone got one before it was certified?

Thanks

Tom Clark Sr

The aircraft MUST be registered, (N number assigned), before you can apply for airworthiness certification.

We all have an n-number before being inspected by a DAR (or FAA rep).
The EAA step-by step certification guide/kit would be a good investment, but basically here is the starting steps:
(If you have an n-number already reserve)
-Obtain and fill out form 8050-1. This is where you put in your reserved N-number.
- get a bill of sale from VAN’s: 8050-2. Van’s will have you fill out and return some forms.
- form 8050-88 affidavit of ownership.
- submit it all with a registration fee.

After that’s done, you will get the aircraft registration document with your n-number. Then there are many more forms and hoops to jump through before getting the airworthiness certificate.

Last edited:
PS

You need the formal registration before the A/W inspection, but don't get it too early. In some states they monitor the FAA reg site, and start sending tax bills when you register - even if it's not yet flying.

FAA

We all have an n-number before being inspected by a DAR (or FAA rep).
The EAA step-by step certification guide/kit would be a good investment, but basically here is the starting steps:
(If you have an n-number already reserve)
-Obtain and fill out form 8050-1. This is where you put in your reserved N-number.
- get a bill of sale from VAN?s: 8050-2. Van?s will have you fill out and return some forms.
- form 8050-88 affidavit of ownership.
- submit it all with a registration fee.

After that?s done, you will get the aircraft registration document with your n-number. Then there are many more forms and hoops to jump through before getting the airworthiness certificate.

Or go straight to the FAA web site and follow the requirements exactly as they state -

https://www.faa.gov/licenses_certif...ion/aircraft_registry/amateur_built_aircraft/

Be advised you can reserve an N number without submitting your registration. That's what I recommend if you are more than 6 months out from your AWC inspection.

The reservation was what I was referring to in my earlier post.

You need the formal registration before the A/W inspection, but don't get it too early. In some states they monitor the FAA reg site, and start sending tax bills when you register - even if it's not yet flying.
amazing how efficient government is at collecting :D

Jeff had it right. Probably the best $20 I ever spent was buying EAA's "Registering an Experimental" kit from Aircraft Spruce or directly through EAA. It comes with all forms, a step-by-step guide on how to fill out those forms, a big "Experimental" decal for the cabin and a stainless steel ID plate, Highly recommended! :)

Of course, the best $25 I ever spent was the yearly donation to this site. :D

Last edited: