Rick S.

Well Known Member
Does the Ex-POTUS have similar airspace restrictions as the seated POTUS? If so how will his new digs impact the fairly free airspace around the Dallas area?

My understanding....for a very short time yes. After that no. This from an ATC buddy (and RV pilot).

The new Bush house in Dallas is in the surface segment of class B, and the ranch near Waco will go down to its 3-mile radius (what it is when he wasn't there).

b,
d

Does the Ex-POTUS have similar airspace restrictions as the seated POTUS? If so how will his new digs impact the fairly free airspace around the Dallas area?

Ex's are History

Ex-presidents do not get anything near the same treatment as a sitting president. Actually an ex-president can decline secret service protection. No flight restriction should be in place after he leaves office (actually should change the second that Obama takes the oath). Of coarse things have changed in the past but only the current Pres and Vice-Pres get TFR.

As a personal opinion, sitting Presidents and Congress (the DC ADIZ) should not get anywhere near the airspace restrictions they already have anyway. If our country is that insecure, it is through their incompetence - and losing a few would thus not be a notable loss to our country...

:D

Ya got me curious for what they did for George the 1st up in Kennebunkport, ME.

Here is the sectional w/ Kennebunkport, notice the prohibited zone P-67 on the coast. Of course this could grow if the sitting POTUS visits or they determine there is a credible threat to “W”.

And here is the description of the airspace. Even a Cub could get up and over that.
P-67 Kennebunkport, ME

Boundaries. A circular area of 1-mile radius centered on lat. 43[deg]20'40'' N., long. 70[deg]27'34'' W.

Designated altitudes. Surface to 1,000 feet MSL.

Time of designation. Continuous.

Using agency. Administrator, FAA, Washington, DC. * * * * *

Issued in Washington, DC on May 16, 2005. Edith V. Parish, Acting Manager, Airspace and Rules.

Last edited:
On a related note...

According to this page on the secret service website, Bill Clinton is the last president to receive lifetime Secret Service protection. Subsequent presidents will receive only 10 years from the date they leave office.

http://www.secretservice.gov/faq.shtml

I bet pilots are the only group that hopes serious presidential contenders don't emerge from their respective states. ;)

Ya got me curious for what they did for George the 1st up in Kennebunkport, ME.

Here is the sectional w/ Kennebunkport, notice the prohibited zone P-67 on the coast. Of course this could grow if the sitting POTUS visits or they determine there is a credible threat to ?W?.

And here is the description of the airspace. Even a Cub could get up and over that.

Yes, the pain is where is sitting POTUS sits or visits. I used to fly out of KPWM. When Bush would visit P-67 would grow to 10 NM radius prohibited and 30 NM radius restricted (have to have a flight plan and squawk even for a VFR flight, etc.) What a pain the ***, and a chance for an honest pilot to slip up and get violated.

I'm hopeful that W moving to Dallas doesn't mess up the good access we have through the DAL part of the Surface Class B - we often get N-S clearance on the ADS-DAL-RBD route and sometimes E-W DAL-DFW. He would be basically right on the ADS-DAL segment.

However, we had some local public meetings with the FAA in November. They plan to expand / lower the Class B quite a bit - particularly over ADS - and really didn't seem to care what we thought. So, Georgie moving into town may provide a good excuse to cut off the DAL surface Class B to non-DAL traffic. YMMV.

TODR

If you thought a 30 mile TFR over Crawford was a PITA, wait until they do the same thing smack in the middle of Chicago, and some of the buiest airspace in the country. And Obama has said that he plans to get back to Chicago frequently. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

If you thought a 30 mile TFR over Crawford was a PITA, wait until they do the same thing smack in the middle of Chicago, and some of the buiest airspace in the country. And Obama has said that he plans to get back to Chicago frequently. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I've been wondering the same thing. Looks like Daley is going to finally get his big GA flight restricted area (in the form of POTUS TFRs) around downtown Chicago.

I can't imagine it will happen very often. Just think how he will disrupt air traffic across the entire US by closing either of the two major Chicago airports. The public will go crazy and demand a change via their local politicians.

The good thing is that he probably won't sit on Air Force One while getting his hair cut as Clinton did in LA.

It will be just like the DC ADIZ! Another reason to avoid the ORD Class B.
N941WR said:
I can't imagine it will happen very often. Just think how he will disrupt air traffic across the entire US by closing either of the two major Chicago airports. The public will go crazy and demand a change via their local politicians.
Yeah ... Chicago dumping Mayor Daley ... not gonna hold my breath. Megis went down and it doesn't seem to have hurt the Good Mayor much. I'm just upset that he didn't get his way and ban all single and twin engine aircraft over the City. Would have gotten really quiet at ORD and MDW that way ... :D

TODR

Several years ago, my son and I were preparing to leave Fort Myers, Florida, Page Field in the RV. We saw all these guys in black carrying "guitar cases" around. Some of them were wandering around on the ramp where little ol' 66AP was parked. Since our destination that day was 1240 n.m. away, I wasn't too interested in delays. My first thought was "oh boy, the president has decided to show up, we'll never get out of here". I called flight service again just to be sure that no tfr's had popped up, they said none (tell this to the guys with the guns...). I asked around, and finally someone fessed up that the former pres Bush was due to land. Anyway, we fired up, and as we called the tower to depart, we were told to hold short, landing traffic with a "VIP" on board. A big ol' blue bizjet of some sort landed, and we then took off.

So, even though some presidents get SS detail, there doesn't seem to be any disruption.

According to this page on the secret service website, Bill Clinton is the last president to receive lifetime Secret Service protection. Subsequent presidents will receive only 10 years from the date they leave office.

The Secret Service for Clinton is to protect interns. ;)

I know, I know, no politics. It's just a joke. Did I mention Clinton likes RV's? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
IMO, the Chicago airspace will never be as effected as much as Bush's in TX. Unlike Bush?s place in TX, a single house in the middle of the prairie ? Obama?s place in Chicago would be much harder to pick out in the middle of the city.

At lease that?s what I?m hoping ? it would be sad if I couldn?t take people for a Chicago skyline ride. :confused: