Junglepilot

Well Known Member
Gear tower hardware question (pre-1 vs -1)

First my kit is a pre -1 from 2003. I am converting this (8A) to 8. Ken Krueger worked closely with me and we came up with the parts for the conversion. All has worked excellently.

Now, the question I have arises from the fact that my plans are pre-1 and my new parts are all -1 (pre-punched) This has made the transition very easy, thanks to Ken's wisdom. However once in a while the parts in the pre-1 plans are slightly different than the -1 as Ken redsigned a number of parts so that there were less parts. For example the 822 weldment on my plans calls for an 822B angle piece to be fabricated onto the 822, yet the 822 weldment I got from Vans has that piece already welded on. They streamlined a lot turning two piece fab processes into one piece. Very nice.

That's just a little background so you'll understand why I am asking this.

So I am dimpling the F-820 [forward] skins and in the area with all the holes are that will eventually attach the the 820 weldment, the hardware call-outs on my pre-1 plans show the following: (Drawing 28)
  • AN426AD4-7
  • AN509-8R10 (CS Screws)

Here's the pic of the detail on DWG 28 (pre -1 plans):

drawing 28.jpg

So the questions is: Do the new -1 plans call for the 509 screws? The reason I ask is that the pre-punched holes in the new 820 skins in that area and other parts (822 weldment , et al) are all pre-punched with the same holes (for an AD4 rivet) i.e. SMALLER that required for the AN509 screws. I kind of expected to see pre-punched holes for the 509 screws closer to the 509 screw dia.

I am guessing I just need to redrill the holes to the correct size as I know all the holes a just undersized a bit anyway.

Hope this questions is clear. I just want to make sure the newer -1 plans do not call for a different fastener than the AN509 screws.

I probably could have waited until Monday and called VANS but I'm there today and want to move forward but not at the expense of ordering new parts.

Thanks

Last edited:
hang on a bit Sandy and i'll see if i can help you with my preview plans. I have no experience with the 8, but i do have the plans.

my book says it is for the 8/8A 1, from sep 26 2007. I think it will have the info. do you have the page number you could point me at?

I'm looking at dwg 62 right now.... 67......

hey, i'm not finding the spot real fast, if you want tell me some pages to photo and i can email them to you if no one else speaks up

Last edited:
Ok Sandy, on my book dwg 74 detail B the book shows

AN 509-8R10 |
AN 960-8 |
AN 365-832A|
= 15X

these look like they attach to an under the skin structure - a very squished upside down "w" shape with a flat top

there are two more AN 509 8R8, washer and nuts in the space under the w, along with a two rivets. so one 509 and one rivet per space under the "squished w"

I hope this helps, ask away if i can clarify something. i'll have to step outside for a couple hours to do chores soon.

Last edited:
on my pre-punched kit the plans have a detail section showing which holes to drill to the 509 size but were all pre-punched for the -4 rivets..

Ken

I think you answered my question

Yeah that's more the answer I was looking for. Holes for 1/8 rivets (4's) but detail calls for 509 screws (closer to 3/16's hole).

I just added a pic from my plans showing what I questioned.

holes are undersized.

I think they do this for a couple of reasons. Its probably easier for the prepunch machine process to make all the holes the same, and also, you can use cleco's in the holes until you drill to final diameter for the -509's.

Thanks

That's what I first thought, but just wanted to make sure. My experience with the Van's product is that I haven't found any boo-boos on their part yet and assumed they had their reasons for making all the holes the same.

Thanks!