Junglepilot

Well Known Member
New gear legs from Vans bent

I just opened the gear legs (still in the Vans bubble wrap) I received a few months back [from another builder who went with Groves], laid them out and noticed a slight variation in the two. As they are secondhand, my experience is that Van's won't replace them even if they are new. In my book, a defect is a defect. Anyone else have this happen?
side_view.jpg

end_view.jpg

Is this normal/common? Can/should I take them to a body shop to get them matched (bent)? If not then the plane will have a lean. Bummer.....

Thanks,
Sandy

Last edited:
I think I see the fix....

Was talking to my friend Smokey Ray and mentioned there was also a bow in the leg and the light came on [
icon3.gif
] as I explained to him the deformity. I then went out to the garage/shop and laid a straight edge on the deformed leg and the bow is such that taking out the bow should just about fix the mis-alignment on each end. Hoping I can to get the bent leg (right) tweaked with a friends [heavy duty] hydraulic press. However will call Vans and see if they will back up this defect...second hand or not...they are still new. Poor QC in my book.

See images below:
leg_bow_wideangle.jpg

leg_bow_highlighted.jpg

Last edited:
I think you will find they are matched more closely than they first appear if you measure the actual vertical height as they would be when mounted in the plane.

One easy way to do this would be to place the straight section that fits in the fuse flat on the ground, for both gear legs side by side, and compare the height of the axle end of the gear legs.

There are many variables that can affect the whole system, and to attempt to minimize any differences, this is how they are matched before being sent out.

If you have any other questions, please feel free to send me an email and I can help you.

richard @ langair. com

(Remove the spaces though.)

Richard

Wow, it would appear you got a reply directly from the folks who make Van's gear legs. IMO, you should follow up with him.