SHORTRV7

Well Known Member
Need a little help, I have cut the wood stiffeners per plans, but the plans do not state which way the tapper goes, thicker in towards the top or the bottom? I suppose there is a right and wrong way here, so how about some help and I thank you now for helping.
Don Short

Larger end..........

goes toward the top (closest to the cowl) on the aft edge of the gear. Need to carefully line these up.

Thicker on top

Are you saying the thicker to the top tapered smaller at the bottom? Yeh, got it thanks

Last edited:
Don, you may not need them...

....so fly it first. Very few guys even put them on. They've found that balancing the wheels takes care of most shimmy,

Best,

Need a little help, I have cut the wood stiffeners per plans, but the plans do not state which way the tapper goes, thicker in towards the top or the bottom? I suppose there is a right and wrong way here, so how about some help and I thank you now for helping.
Don Short
Don,

Here's what Van's says on the subject: "Out of balance wheels and higher than necessary tire pressures promote wheel shimmy. However, wheel shimmy is a rather nebulous thing; it occurs on some airplane and not on others, and with varying degees of severity. Wheel shimmy tendencies can be minimized by using the lowest practical tire pressures, having well balanced wheels and tires, and brake discs that run true and don't drag at one point of rotation."

Since you are already flying, you may want to double check that all is in order before going through the bother of fabricating and bonding wooden dampeners to the gear legs. As for the direction of taper, the fiberglass gear leg fairings the stiffeners will be encased in should provide you ample clues.

Don't have shimmy, rough grass strip

My grass strip is a little rough and I have been told my gear really shakes so I am wanting to cut down on the osulations. I was wondering if any of you have put the stiffeners on for that reason? I have 60 hours on airframe with no out of balance or vibrations at all. Just wanted to stiffen it up a little