prkaye

Well Known Member
I've been trying to come up with how I'm going to cut the radius lengthwise along a piece of wood so that it sits nicely agains the gear leg... I don't have a router. Any tips?

Hi Phil, here's what I did.

Using a piece of wood moulding that is roughly tapered to the right shape of half an airfoil, I cut the nose at an angle on my table saw.

Then, I cut it in half transversely and glued the two halves together, forming a streamlined shaped with a "V" notch in the leading edge.

This V fits the round gear leg nicely. You can bond this on according to the instructions.

Vern

And if you don't have a table saw...

cut1uf5.jpg

cut2nt6.jpg

cut3us6.jpg

cut4pt2.jpg

And in spite of having cut the parts months ago I have been flying for almost 20 hours now and still haven't fitted them - with no adverse results.

The gear is certainly "springy" which is very noticeable during start up and shut down as the engine runs through about 300/400 rpm and excites a torsional resonance of the whole plane on the gear - the famous "wet dog shake". Does anyone know if fitting the wooden dampeners reduces this?

Jim Sharkey
RV6 - Phase 1

Last edited:
Fly it first.

You may not need the gear leg stiffeners, some do, some don't. I bought my 6A already flying (6 years ago) and the wheel hop was horrendous. About the only thing to keep the hop down was low pressure in the mains and slow taxi speeds. I had decided to install the stiffeners myself when one day I had the wheel pants off at inspection time and spun one of the wheels. I discovered that those cheapie tires I'd been using were about as round as a concrete block! I installed a pair of Michelins and the problem was solved. With them I can run 32psi without a hint of wheel hop. So try a pair of decent (round) tires before going to all that trouble.

Thanks for the pictures... I'm having trouble visualizing how these two pieces fit together over the gear leg..

Do the tires from vans qualify as "good tires"?

I'll have to go back and check what kind of tires Vans sent me.

Regardign the issue of whether to do stiffeners before or after first flight...

1) could the shimmy without stiffeners be dangerous and contribue to an accident? That would be a reason to want them on for test flying.

2) It seems to me that I won't be able to bond the stiffeners to the gear legs until I'm ready to align them properly... that means at teh hangar with the wings on. I'm waiting to align my gear leg fairnigs until then too... want a big space, flat floor and the plane fully assembled (so the weight spreads the gear properly). Is alignment of these stiffeners critical, or is there room to adjust the alignment of the fairings around the stiffeners? Alternatively could the stiffeners be temporarily strapped to teh gear legs during test flight, and only bonded later when I do final alignment of them and my fairings.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pictures... I'm having trouble visualizing how these two pieces fit together over the gear leg..

You glue a pair of mirrored pieces to gether to form the tail of a tear drop shape that has a tappered V-groove at the front edge of it. This then nests over and bonds to the back edge of the leg before being overwrapped with fiberglass. It's all on the drawing and in the manual - mind you it is a bit cryptic.

Jim Sharkey

No.They are OK tires. If you start out with good tires like GOODYEAR FLIGHT CUSTOM lll tires you will then fit your wheel pants to them during construction. If you start off with Van's tires, then you will need to trim the pants later. These tires are well balanced and will outlast the stock ones 2 to 1 at least.

I didn't think that anyone was using the wooden stiffeners anymore. I never did have any on the mains or nose and have had no problems at all. It sure makes it easy to inspect the brake lines and the gear rods.

Many first flights that you see on You tube don't have anything on the gear legs. They want the extra drag.