Paul Tuttle

Well Known Member
I would like to hear people's opinion on when is the best time to install the gear leg fairings. I notice quite a few fly without them for a while,or is it better to finish them with the fuselage before you install the engine.

If you want them properly aligned for flight, you need to install them with the weight off the gear. That is probably easier to do before you mount the engine and wings.

Paul

I had the same ? But because of the point made by Kyle I decided to complete them now and during intial flights will not have them in place.

I am glad to have them nearly complete and even happier to know that I won't have to look forward to building them once the plane is near completion and or flying.

Frank @ SGU RV7A......nolt flying yet

Do whatever you can to complete as much as possible BEFORE you start
flying. The temptation to fly instead of completing the plane is too much.
Plus now the plane may be further from you (hanger vs. garage).
You are going to have to do that work sooner or later, do it sooner, that
way you don't have to get back into build mode.

Ask me how I know...

Gear Leg Fairings

On the -8 the gear leg fairings self align, so you can do them any time you want. Unlike the other RV models, the -8 has a flat steel spring gear like the old Cessnas. I assembled and fitted mine as I was building, but I didn't install them until I had broken in the engine and flown off the 25 hrs my DAR required. (Certified engine.)

By not installing them until the engine is broken in, you can work the engine a little harder and not go as fast in rough air. I would recommend doing this.

To illistrate my point, my gear leg fairings and wheel pants added 15 Knots to the 75 per cent power speeds at the same altitude and power settings without them. This was documented doing a 4 way GPS ground speed run average while using my Tru-Trak autopilot and letting the speed settle a minute or so after making the turns.

I have a 200hp Lyc and streamlining really starts making a difference as you approach 200 mph. Inverse square law comes to mind.

Last edited:
I decided early on that knowing myself, I wanted to have everything done before first flight that I possibly could - because like Walter said), once I started flying, I'd never want to stop. I did all of the fairings and wheel pant work while the plane was still at home - it really didn't take that long - maybe a week of evenings - and I didn't have to worry about doing them later. In addition, I had heard how much speed they add, and since I wanted to do a careful flight test program, I didn't want to invalidate all my performance data by changing the configuration later.

Everyone is different, but it made sense for me to do them before first flight.

Paul

Paul is once again very correct. If you intend to do a meticulous flight
test program, you should have the plane completed. Otherwise, expect to
fly an additional flight test program after you have finished the plane. The
numbers Will change. I will fly another flight test program and a more thorough
one when I'm back in the air because of this, hopefully this weekend.

One more data point for you. I waited on my fairings until after flying. That was about 13 months ago, and my fairings are still not done. HOWEVER, I'm glad I did it because my first 2 iterations of fitting up the fairings resulted in the airplane flying significantly out of trim (1.5+ "balls" on the turn & slip). I'm now working on the third try, and I'm using the fairings as my "trim tab" by aligning them such that the plane flies straight at cruise speeds.
Having said all that, I know you are working on an -8 and the fairings work differently than my RV-6.

Good luck.

Amen Brother

walter said:
Paul is once again very correct. If you intend to do a meticulous flight
test program, you should have the plane completed. Otherwise, expect to
fly an additional flight test program after you have finished the plane. The
numbers Will change. I will fly another flight test program and a more thorough
one when I'm back in the air because of this, hopefully this weekend.

Personally I HATE having to flog down to the airport (and its only 20 minutes) to work on the plane, then realising I've left a vital tol at home, its cold (or unbearably hot)...Etc etc whine whine...

Bottom line its a whole lot easier to do everything in the home workshop...So I did, including paint and I'm very happy I did...:)

Frank
Still havent fitted the sunshade....:)

Paul Tuttle said:
I would like to hear people's opinion on when is the best time to install the gear leg fairings. I notice quite a few fly without them for a while,or is it better to finish them with the fuselage before you install the engine.
As other's have said every builder's situation is different, but based on my own experience, and that of watching others, I'd advise you to get it all done early while still in the warm garage, and for all the reasons previously mentioned.

Also, regarding the intersection fairings in particular, they will effect the stall characteristics to a surprising degree. I summarized my experience with it in an article in the RVator which can be found toward the bottom of the page here.

Finsh them while....

..at home as other are suggesting.

But if you are breaking in a new engine on the first flight as a lot of us are doing, remove the gear leg and wheel fairings for the first 10 hours or so. This will assist with engine break in by creating additional drag so that by running your engine hard, which you will need to do, you won't overspeed the airframe, but still ensure successful break in. During your Phase I flight test period you will ideally want to advance airspeeds, maneuvers, altitudes, testing, etc incrementally over a period of time. FWIW, engine break in and test flying a new airplane tends to be a enigma....

Thanks for tha answers .I thought it made the most sense to do it while I've got it here at home. It would appear by the responses that I was on the right track.