Does anyone know of any companies that make better gear leg fillets? The ones supplied with the Van's kits leave a bit to be desired. They require a lot of finish work and are kind of heavy as far as composite parts go....

Which RV do you have?

No one makes them for the RV-9. RV-9A yes, but not the -9.

I've tried to make the -7s work but they didn't some out so go good and need to be remade.

Which RV do you have?

No one makes them for the RV-9. RV-9A yes, but not the -9.

I've tried to make the -7s work but they didn't some out so go good and need to be remade.

I used the RV-7 top ones. Had to cut off the part that touches the gear leg fairing and add some fiberglass. In the end it was easier that starting from scratch.

The lowers on mine are attached to the wheel pants. You can make those without any tooling.

Cam

Wing tips?

Thanks! What about different wing tips? Any options there?

Not for my airplane, just seeing if there's a market for this stuff. Trying to expand my product line.

Currently I'm making carbon fiber UAV (unmanned air vehicle) parts and would like to get into the homebuilt fullsize market.

Here's a couple of pics of a wing I've made for a UAV:

a1783407-199-wing%20closeout%20tip.jpg

a1783408-77-wing%20closeout%20spar%20side.jpg

The 28" long 12" chord wing section weighs only 12oz and when placed between two saw horses 24" apart it will hold over 50lbs in the center.

So, using the same process and materials (possibly fiberglass instead of carbon fiber) I would like to look into making some fairings for Van's aircraft. Possibly even some wingtips if there are not many options there.

I know Van's airplanes have incredibly short takeoff and landing anyway, but some modified wing tip shapes might help shorten takeoff and increase cruise speed.

I'd be curious to know what you guys think.

Mike

Aero-Strategies Unlimited (http://www.aerosu.com/part3.htm). I bought a rotating fuselage stand from a guy who had finished his RV. He had originally bought fairings-etc fairings and, while finding them MUCH better than Vans', was still not satisfied. Ordered some from Aero-Strategies, and liked them even better. I haven't reached that far yet, so am simply relaying one man's opinion. Like everything else on our planes, its nice to have options!

Aero-Strategies Unlimited (http://www.aerosu.com/part3.htm). I bought a rotating fuselage stand from a guy who had finished his RV. He had originally bought fairings-etc fairings and, while finding them MUCH better than Vans', was still not satisfied. Ordered some from Aero-Strategies, and liked them even better. I haven't reached that far yet, so am simply relaying one man's opinion. Like everything else on our planes, its nice to have options!

From looking at the Aero-Straegies web site, the product looks just fine......

However, the products from Fairings-etc are of very high quality, and by no means cheap! I just can't grasp the "still not satisfied" statement, and then ordering the products stated above, as a replacement. I just don't see anything better about them.

L.Adamson --- RV6A

They are very easy to make

I know this is disgusting to hear but why subject yourself to these "products". These little fairings are very easy to make with modeling clay from Hobby Lobby and fiberglass. The finished product is a perfect fit. Making molds for big things like wingtips is more work but man they comeout good! The experience is priceless.

Bob Axsom

I know this is disgusting to hear but why subject yourself to these "products". These little fairings are very easy to make with modeling clay from Hobby Lobby and fiberglass. The finished product is a perfect fit. Making molds for big things like wingtips is more work but man they comeout good! The experience is priceless.

It's because I HATE fiberglass work! I'm a long time sheetmetal man by trade, and threw the modeling clay out.............after the first try!

But I do give all you "fiberglass" people, lot's of credit for messing with such a messy product. :D

L.Adamson

Make your own Vs. Store bought

Bob,

I can think of a few reasons people might want to buy a nice set of fiberglass parts instead of making their own.... but maybe I'm way off base. If there is already more than one company making these it seems like the demand must be there.

I imagine saving time and having a good looking part are the first two reasons. Then maybe just not enjoying fiberglass work. Typical fiberglass work, like the fairings that Van's supplies is a pain in the butt. Who wants to sand a bunch of glass fibers and get your skin all itchy? Not to mention those things are very low-tech.

Shops like mine have the ability to not only make a better looking part, but make it lighter and make your airplane go faster.

We have the ability to use CFD software like the big boys (Cessna, Piper, Boeing) use and I personally want to use those tools to add something to the homebuilt market. Whether it's used to go faster, use less gas, or be safer, I would love for my products to be used to make you happier about your kitplane. If you're happier making the products yourself, I completely understand. I've always been that way myself.

How does everyone feel about having bare carbon fiber on their airplane? Do you guys like that look or is that just for these kids and their Honda cars?

Mike

Fairings for the 9A

After 60 plus hours I'm to the point where I need to do the deed. I've put it off as long as I can. On my 8A I had the modeling clay experience and I LOVE to fiberglass ( as strange as that may seem ). It was easy, but very time consuming. I think I spent about a month off an on driving out to the hangar every weekend wrapping up that "little" project. It was winter, and not a very pleasant experience. This time around I plan on doing the prefab route. I've heard good things about fairings-etc from another 9A pilot and just checked out their site. They make them for both the 9 and the 9A so all us 9A builders can rejoice... finally.

Clear skies,

- Jim