sirlegin

Well Known Member
Has anyone abandoned the hose clamp attach method?
I was thinking about running a bolt with a tinnamen washer through the fairing and into a star nut attached to the wooden gear leg stiffener. Is this a viable solution?
Any thoughts good or bad?

Sounds Fine

Mine don't have any clamps, just the hinges on the trailing edge and fitting inside the intersection fairings.

Hans

The tabs on my fairings broke off, so I lubed up the gear legs and laid some fiberglass on so it is curved to the gear leg. With luck, these new tabs will last longer.

The tabs on my fairings broke off, so I lubed up the gear legs and laid some fiberglass on so it is curved to the gear leg. With luck, these new tabs will last longer.
To make them stronger, on ours I added a layer of carbon fiber inside and outside....

I'm with nucleus.

We did nothing.

They can't come out, they allow a bit of 'jiggle' provided you use decent intersection fairings such as from Fairings Etc.

Mine don't have any clamps, just the hinges on the trailing edge and fitting inside the intersection fairings.

Hans
Same here. My gear leg fairings just float inside of the intersection fairings.
00029.jpg

00030.jpg

Leg fairing tabs

My tabs on my RV6 broke very soon after 1st flight, they were repaired almost yearly until I used a large countersunk washer on a wood screw and ran it through the fairing into my oak gear leg stiffeners. The tabs are still broken but the screws work well so that's what I am using. My upper intersection fairings cover them so they aren't noticeable.

Dick DeCramer
RV6 N500DD flying since 2004
RV8 Fuselage
Northfield, MN