UnPossible

Well Known Member
Hey - I am finally getting around to fitting my gear leg fairings.
With the wheel pants on, the ball was centered pretty much all the time.

Now with the gear leg fairings installed, I am seeing a 1/8 to 1/4 of a ball defection to the right in cruise.

When I slow way down <100 kts), I think I am seeing a very small deflection to the opposite direction (left)

I'm curious as to the best way to fix this. My lower transition fairings are only pop-riveted on at this time. ( I wanted to be able to reposition them if there was a severe alighment issue before I glassed them in).

Should I drill out the lower tranistion fairings and try to realign one or both of the gear leg fairings, or should I just slap a small trim tab on the rudder and be done with it?

Thanks,
Jason

OK - will take another shot at getting them totally aligned before I resort to a trim tab.

What I am struggling with, is how to get my alignment spot on with a less than level hanger floor.

I was able to level the scrap door I was using as a reference back by the tail side to side, but not sure how best to level it front to back with the gear legs when the distance is 10'+.

Is there an easy way to do this that I am not coming up with?

Thanks,
Jason

To properly do the gearlegs, You need the plane in a flying attitude.

So jack it up off the ground with wing jacks. Put a level across the longerons for the side to side. AND a level on the side rail. Now use the dual string method to center the gear leg. check this thread.

A Water Level will do it.

Use a length of hose filled with water and clear tubes at each end (or just a long length of clear plastic tubing). That way, you can find a level on your door that matches the level of the string location on the leading edge of your gear leg fairing, regardless of any hills and valleys between the two.

There are lots of 'how to' water level videos on Youtube if you need them.