MartinPred

Well Known Member
Sponsor
Just found these during an oil change. This is the right side where the main gear joins the engine mount. The cracks are on both sides of the connection.

This engine mount/gear leg only has about 150 hours, and there haven't been any hard landings. Is it just the paint or do you think there are any cracks under there?

-Matt
402BD

mountcracks2.jpg

You'll have to sand/strip to know for sure, but I'd bet you have paint cracks.

That portion of the assembly is way too beefy to crack in that manner.

Don't sand

Stripping would be much better. Sanding can hide small cracks.

There was an AD on T-6/SNJ wing attach angles, and the AD specifically said to NOT use sandpaper before doing the Zyglo crack check.

Just found these during an oil change. This is the right side where the main gear joins the engine mount. The cracks are on both sides of the connection.

This engine mount/gear leg only has about 150 hours, and there haven't been any hard landings. Is it just the paint or do you think there are any cracks under there?

-Matt
402BD

mountcracks2.jpg

Engine mount cracks usually occur in the weld between that big tube and the one carrying the bolt. I suspect you are seeing paint that is breaking down.

Thanks everyone for the words. I'll keep an eye on it and maybe strip it down at the next oil change.

-Matt
402BD

I support the opinion that those cracks that you see are paint cracks. Fatigue or overload cracks would not occur in that kind of pattern and not at this location.
Paint sometimes cracks, especially if it's rather thick, hard and brittle. What kind of paint have you used on the engine mount? I'm asking this because I will have to paint my engine mount in a few weeks.

cracks

Metal will never crack in the cross hatching pattern you see there. Its cosmetic paint cracks only.

Matt,

If you do decide to strip the powder coat off go get an aerosol can of Permatex Gasket Remover from the local auto parts store. Mask the area well and wear gloves and long sleeves plus eye protection. This stuff makes the powder coat bubble up in about ten seconds and cleans the surface right down to the metal.

I used it when I had to get my nose gear leg rethreaded. This stuff is scary good!

Jim

Feeling Better

Since everyone seems to agree, it makes me breath a bit easier. I think I will strip it down and repaint using the above technique at some point. But it's now lower down on my list.

Not sure what kind of paint since I bought the mount already painted. But I told them the rest of the airplane is Imron White Primer so that might be what they used.

Thanks,

-Matt
402BD