Jerry Cochran

Well Known Member
I am trying to price out some surplus stuff I might want to sell, including a couple of -6a gear legs. I've checked the "List" and accessory catalog and plans to no avail. The plans just call them "Round gear leg" on DWG C2

Any ideas? I would call Van's, but it's the weekend...

I am trying to price out some surplus stuff I might want to sell, including a couple of -6a gear legs. I've checked the "List" and accessory catalog and plans to no avail. The plans just call them "Round gear leg" on DWG C2

Any ideas? I would call Van's, but it's the weekend...

I purchased new 7 gear legs in June for $300 ea.
I believe the new 7A gear legs were $260.

Send me a PM if you want the prices when I sold my used mains & nose gear.
I gave the buyers a very good price.

If you buy the legs as part of the engine mount "package" the cost is about $450 for the pair (above the cost of the engine mount only). In the package you also get some attach hardware.

New gear legs from Langaire are about $300 each and come unpainted. I think Vans sells them for a similar amount, but powder coated.

Greg

A word of caution though...

IIRC the early -6(x) legs were undrilled at the fus. end.

Van then provided them drilled, but I think they were match drilled to their mount and may not be interchangeable.

Later -6(x) ones may be better like the interchangeable nose gear legs.

Mine were match drilled and have a serial number etched on them.

A word of caution though...

IIRC the early -6(x) legs were undrilled at the fus. end.

Van then provided them drilled, but I think they were match drilled to their mount and may not be interchangeable.

Later -6(x) ones may be better like the interchangeable nose gear legs.

Mine were match drilled and have a serial number etched on them.

This is true. I ran into this issue with my used mount & new gear legs.
Prior to 10/2004, they were match drill & paired to the mount.
After 10/2004, they were jig drilled to match all legs to the mount.
My drilled gear legs were toed out. I was able to correct them by drilling from AN5 to AN6. Spinning the gear into the mount and reshaping the top engine mount hole to accomodate.

If your gear legs are drilled, make sure the buyer is aware there may be a matching alignment issue.