carrollcw

Well Known Member
So, besides the SD-8, what other options are there? I have heard that a big problem for the SD-8 is it really doesn't supply many amps at 2400 rpm as it is rated at 8.4 amps at 3500 rpm. Obviously that number is of little help, since we usually run around 2400-2500 rpm. Any other options out there?

Thanks!

I guess they call the sd-20 the bc410-H now. Looks like plane power makes a couple too. Anyone have any experience with these? I like how the plane power alternator is internally regulated.

Last edited:
Plane Power

I have the 30amp Plane Power. Was easy to install (540), don't have to load shed at all with it. With EFIS and LED lights I can have everything on and still see charging on my battery. Only flying a year, and just test it (by using it instead of primary) every couple months on a flight.

Does make getting the oil filter on & off a little harder as there is very little clearance between it and the oil filter.

Bill

alt

I have 250 hrs. on 30 amp rear pad Plane Power as my only charging source. Is a little weak, but acceptable, below 900 engine rpm. Have had no issues with low battery. My total normal flight load is 7 amps. Also have backup battery for g3x panel. I am working on another plane and intend to do it the same way but have a B&C instead of the Plane Power but have had no issue's with the Plane Power. Ron

SD8 rocks!

So, besides the SD-8, what other options are there? I have heard that a big problem for the SD-8 is it really doesn't supply many amps at 2400 rpm as it is rated at 8.4 amps at 3500 rpm. Obviously that number is of little help, since we usually run around 2400-2500 rpm. Any other options out there?

Thanks!

I have 250 hours on the SD8 in my RVX with no issues. My entire panel and dual EI only draw 5.4 amps. With an odessey battery it has been no issues.

V/R
Smokey

SD-8

Sorry if this is off topic, but I was considering the SD-8 also. How difficult is installation of the unit for backup power?

John

SD-20

I have a B&C SD-20 as a back up on my RV-4 and the best I've seen it give me is around 13.4 volts at 2400 RPM ( Engine )..

I think that I should get around 13.8 Volts with it

I adjusted the regulator a couple times already and looks like I'm gonna have to do it again..

Anyone has any numbers so I could compare..

Thanks

Bruno

Plane Power here

ABout 250hrs on this unit. No problems - I have seen 35A charge after a dang hot start (TCM IO550). It behaves more like a generator in that it does not really charge at idle RPM, but once past that (~1000RPM), it works great. Normal in-flight load is 7A, so that is no problem either.

Carry on!
Mark