bobby

I'm getting started on the gear boxes (F-802 bulkhead) and am considering doing a mod like this http://home.comcast.net/~jwdweb2/Finish5/finish5.html later. My kit is not the -1 kit.

On drawing 24 (again older kit) it shows installing 4 platenuts on the F-802E-R angle and says right side only. On drawing 38 it looks like these platenuts are used to attach F-871PP to the F-802.

Jim's comment mentions he did it using the screw plate because using screws directly into the gear box would be too difficult.

Since he mounted the screw plate using screws I'm assuming he installed platenuts on the F-802E-L too but don't know if he did.

Does anyone see a reason the F-802E-L should not have platenuts installed like on F-802E-R? Also, the only thing I can see in the picture that might be difficult would maybe be removing the lowest screw because of interference with the fuel pump etc.

I think the difficulty that Jim was refering to would be the difficulty of removing and installing that side wall once the aircraft was assembled. On the left side, you have good access from the forward baggage bay door to get at the screws that secure the left side wall. But, if you used the same means to secure the right side wall, you would have a very long reach to get at them from the baggage door. Or, you could go upside down and put your head and shoulders under the instrument panel with your feet stick out of the cockpit. Doable, but not fun.

The way Jim designed the mod, he can probably sit in the pilot's seat and reach the screws on that plate when leaning forward.