G3X Expert,

I have a GDL39 talking to a 696, both have the latest software updates. I am on a West Coast trip, left ATL 4 days ago and I am in central california, so I have about 12 hours of usage of the system this week. I have a GTX 330es transponder waking up the ground transmitters.

The issue is intermitant uplink of the ground based data. I will have both icons active and the uplink will drop off. When I check the stations all will be inactive. Not always but many times if I upplug the power to the GDL39 then plug powerback in, the uplink comes back to life and works fine.

This is a great system and have great situational awarness and see the conficting aircraft before ATC calls them out to me. Just don't understand why a re-boot get it all working properly.

Thanks in advance......Mark

Mark Steffensen
RV10 N888FF
Home Base: KCNI

Hello Mark,

If you don't mind, please call or email us using the contact information below.

It is generally more efficient for us to work directly with customers to troubleshoot and resolve issues of this type.

Thanks,
Steve

Findings

Steve,

After 32 hours of recent X-country flying I think I have determined the issue....it's heat related. If cover the GDL-39 from direct sun light, it's on the dash, it works fine. When the unit stopped providing traffic, I removed it from the top of the dash, cool it off in a vent for 5 mins, fire it back up, then cover it with a heat reflecting barrier, it didn't fail.

I will mount it remotely with antennas..

All is good.....Mark Steffensen :)

no problem

I have my GDL-39 on my dash, that is painted black. I have many hours flying in direct sunlight in hot weather. I have not had a problem at all. There could be something wrong with your particular unit.

Steve,

After 32 hours of recent X-country flying I think I have determined the issue....it's heat related. If cover the GDL-39 from direct sun light, it's on the dash, it works fine. When the unit stopped providing traffic, I removed it from the top of the dash, cool it off in a vent for 5 mins, fire it back up, then cover it with a heat reflecting barrier, it didn't fail.

I will mount it remotely with antennas..

All is good.....Mark Steffensen :)

Hello Mark,

Thank you for the report.

While the GDL 39 should tolerate operation in the sun on your glare shield, heat is seldom friendly to electronics, so your efforts to remote mount the electronics will undoubtedly provide benefits.

We fly several aircraft equipped with diagnostic tools to monitor GDL 39 performance, and should we identify any opportunities to improve GDL 39 operation, we certainly will.

Thanks,
Steve

I have been using my GDL-39 with Aera 510 for over a year now, mostly for WX. However now that more A/C are coming online with ADS-B, the traffic reporting is becoming more active. That part I like. What I don't like is the GDL-39 likes to report "self" as a traffic target. So I have this little traffic shadow following me around and the alert keeps coming on. Drives me nuts. Anyone else have this problem with the Aera and GDL-39? I heard the iPad users can tell it not to report "self". Would be nice for Aera.

GDL-39 Update

All:

Team Garmin did replace my GDL-39 it was defective. The new unit works perfectly. Just flew 2 flights to the Florida keys (KCNI - KEYW) (KCNI-MTH) in the last month and traffic and FIS weather worked without any issues. As a sidenote I am testing the Garmin Pilot APP on my iPad, and really like it. I was using the AOPA online flight planning to file, and a 696 as my flight bag for charts. I am moving to the Garmin Pilot App on my iPad as my flight bag, and flight planning & filing access point.

Team Garmin Rocks!

Mark - :)

own aircraft alert

I have been using my GDL-39 with Aera 510 for over a year now, mostly for WX. However now that more A/C are coming online with ADS-B, the traffic reporting is becoming more active. That part I like. What I don't like is the GDL-39 likes to report "self" as a traffic target. So I have this little traffic shadow following me around and the alert keeps coming on. Drives me nuts. Anyone else have this problem with the Aera and GDL-39? I heard the iPad users can tell it not to report "self". Would be nice for Aera.

I get these alert all the time and it is just me. It I am near a participating ADSB aircraft I see a phantom traffic symbol usually within 1-2 miles of my position. Since I don't have a ADB transponder I just assume a ground station is reporting me to on of the participating aircraft which then reports that back to the GDL39. I think if I had a fully compliant system it would be smart enough to know it was me but since I don't I put up with the traffic alerts.

I have no audio hooked up to my iPad and I am heads out most of the time, it is startling to look down at my iPad and see the pop up traffic alert window but no have any traffic appear.

Cheers