SmilingJack

Well Known Member
Is it me?

I tried to update my software on my GDL39 today and it kept on dumping.

I had 2-3 bars of wifi and I was not using the GDL39 battery. I am hard wired to the aircraft. But I was using the ships battery mailing a constant 12.5 volts.

Could is be the battery or the 2-3 bar wifi?

The bummer thing was it kept getting to 50% before it dumped :mad:

Thanks!

Is it me?

I tried to update my software on my GDL39 today and it kept on dumping.

I had 2-3 bars of wifi and I was not using the GDL39 battery. I am hard wired to the aircraft. But I was using the ships battery mailing a constant 12.5 volts.

Could is be the battery or the 2-3 bar wifi?

The bummer thing was it kept getting to 50% before it dumped :mad:

Thanks!

Hello John,

We are confused about the wifi comment.

Are you trying to load software to the GDL 39 hardwired to your GDU 375 using the GDU 375 or some other type of device?

If you load the V8.20 software to your GDU 375 and go to the Datalink Information page you should be able to watch it automatically load V2.80 to the GDL 39.

Thanks,
Steve

What GPS are you using to do the update and I assume when you said WIFI you meant BlueTooth?

Assuming you are using a portable GPS, do you have the direct connect cable for your GPS for the GDL39? If so you might want to give that a go.

If your using the GDU hardwired, that went easy peasy on mine.

If your going to be at Osh, the Garmin guys may be doing firmware updates again so you might get it done there.

Edit...Steve beat me to it.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

I'm using Wifi hot spot for my iPad and then blue-toofing to the hard wired GDL39.

I did ts for the last update and it worked fine, but this update it starts, gets through then"transferring data" stage and then during the "updating" stages it pukes.

Sounds like Steve is saying I can update it through my GDU375 instead of wifi and Bluetooth.

What say ye?

If the GDL39 is hard wired to the GDU, update the GDU to 8.20 and when it restarts, go to the Weather or Traffic Datalink Info page and you will be able to see it updating the GDL39 firmware. It took mine about 5 minutes to update it. There is a progress meter to help you know what is going on.

I did update the GDU to 8.20 the other day.

I guess I didn't know you can just go to that page and update the GDL39 using the 8.2 software.

I'll try that tomorrow.

Weird, I was monitoring the Bluetooth on that GDU page. But I started the update using my ipad and not the GDU. So maybe that is my problem

Thanks for the tip Brian.

I would leave the IPad off. Turn on both the GDU and the GDL39 and then go to the weather or traffic page on the GDU and press the Info soft key. You should then see the status of the GDL39.

It should automatically start updating the GDL39.

So one last question.

After doing that can I just unplug my GPS antenna from the GDL39?

Or is there a setting I have to switch?

Mine automatically started using the GDU GPS once it was all updated and the GDU had a GPS lock. It will tell you on the Datalink info page that the position data is external if it is using the GDU GPS...

Excellent!

Thanks alot Brian!

I'll be glad to get rid of the second GPS antenna on my dash!

I was really dreading having to cut into my dash "pleather" :D

So one last question.

After doing that can I just unplug my GPS antenna from the GDL39?

Or is there a setting I have to switch?

Hello John,

Brian is correct. Nothing to do but install the new software and enjoy. The Datalink Information page will indicate that the GDL 39 is using an external GPS (from the GDU 375).

Thanks,
Steve