Bill.Peyton

Well Known Member
I just finished installing the GDL39 and connecting it through our 3 screen G3X panel using an external antenna. I am amazed that I can pick up traffic from inside the shop. (RV 10 still under construction).
My question is for the Garmin expert. Are there plans to make the 88 compatible with the G3? It sure would be nice to receive all the traffic without having to upgrade to an mode S ES Xponder

Hello Bill,

We have received a surprising number of requests to make the GDL 88 compatible with the G3X, and it's certainly something we'll take a look at, but since the GDL 88 is not yet a shipping product it's a bit premature to say for sure if or when such a thing could happen! Meanwhile, as you stated, a Mode S transponder with extended squitter is also a relatively cost effective way to comply with the ADS-B Out mandate. Depending on where you intend to fly, it may also be more convenient - remember that the 978 MHz UAT link used by the GDL 88 is only useful within the US.

thanks,
- Matt

If I was building a G3X panel, I would go ahead and put in the GTX23ES transponder. It is only slightly more expensive than a 327.

I would do it today if I had some method of controlling it....

The GTX23ES coupled with the GDL-39 makes for an awesome combo...whats not to like. You get a dual band ADS-B receiver for FIS-B, TIS-B, Air to Air traffic on both bands, ADS-B out on 1090 which is good for anywhere and that wakes up the ground stations. Seems to be the least expensive option out there right now for a G3X panel.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the 23 was not available prior to me machining the panel. I agree and may look at this more seriously

Good thing is that it is remote mounted. You could make a blank cover for that existing hole or fill it up with something else....

That's exactly what I was thinking. I have the Aerosport panel and could easily have another one cut without the 327. I was just looking for pricing on the ES version

GDL88?

Are there plans to make the 88 compatible with the G3X? It sure would be nice to receive all the traffic without having to upgrade to an mode S ES Xponder

Bill,

Another thing to consider with regard to keeping your GTX327 Mode C transponder and adding a GDL88 UAT is that you would have two transmitting devices instead of the single transmitter you would have with a GTX23ES/GDL39 combination providing ADS-B In/Out.

As discussed in this thread, you may have to consider spacing requirements between these two transmitting antennas.

Additionally, a suppression line is needed between the transponder and the UAT to keep the transponder from stepping on the UAT periodic transmissions.

The pilot entered squawk code would need to be synchronized between the two devices since they would both be transmitting this information. We would do that for you if we added an interface for the GDL88, but just something else to consider.

Nothing insurmountable here and the GDL88 will undoubtedly be a good device, but the simplicity and relative low cost of a GTX23ES 1090ES transmitter with a GDL39 receiver, in combination with the operational ability to use 1090ES everywhere (including Class A airspace) made us question whether or not the GDL88 would be attractive to experimental aviation.

We do, however, appreciate the dilemma of those that already have a GTX327 transponder.

I removed a GTX327 from my aircraft and installed a GTX23ES with a GDL39. Since the GTX327 was mounted in my radio rack, it was easier for me to install the GTX23ES in the same location, so I used a GTX33 panel mount rack instead of the remote mount rack that comes with the GTX23ES. The GTX23ES will plug into either rack.

I was pleased to find out that all the wires needed to install the GTX23ES in place of the GTX327 were already there, so it was a simple matter to move them to the new connector on the new rack. The antenna connection (BNC) was the same on both transponders. This was one of the simplest upgrades with the most payback I have made.

I had zero traffic capability in my plane prior to this installation, and now I have TIS-A on 1030 Mhz from the GTX23ES and ADS-B traffic on 1090 MHz and 978 MHz from the GDL39 and the G3X seamlessly transitions me in/out of TIS-A airspace providing the best traffic available at all times.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Steve,
Thanks for the response. I have come to the same conclusion, although I did not realize that the 23 comes with a rack mount. That is a bonus for the installation. I will still have to run an additional line to the 73 to get bi-directional 232. I currently do not control the 327 with the G3X. so it looks like I need one additional line out of P731.
Now I need to find someone that wants a new GTX327!
Bill