Bushcaddy

Well Known Member
I hard wired my GDL 39. It connected instantly via bluetooth to my 796. I cannot get it to do the same for my iphone or ipad. I have Garmin Pilot and the GDL 39 Utility both installed on my iphone and ipad. The iphone and ipad under their respective device settings say they are connected via bluetooth but the GDL 39 Utility does not light the bluetooth icon nor will it connect the firmware etc????

Any ideas??

Thanks.

I hard wired my GDL 39. It connected instantly via bluetooth to my 796. I cannot get it to do the same for my iphone or ipad. I have Garmin Pilot and the GDL 39 Utility both installed on my iphone and ipad. The iphone and ipad under their respective device settings say they are connected via bluetooth but the GDL 39 Utility does not light the bluetooth icon nor will it connect the firmware etc????

Any ideas??

Thanks.

Hello Don,

As you know, you must put the GDL39 into pairing mode (with the power button) the first time you connect a new Bluetooth device.

This must have been done with the Aera 796 since it connects over Bluetooth. Was this also done with your mobile devices?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I took all the devices home and using the 12 volt power cord (which mates the GDL 39 and the 796 together) hooked to a 12V power supply and then attached a USB cable from the 796 to my computer. Then if I open Garmin Pilot, Settings, GDL 39...it says I have firmware version 2.51 installed. When I leave Garmin Pilot and go to the GDL 39 Utility App it says Firmware Not Connected. Same for both iphone and ipad (iphone 5 btw and ipad 3 both with ios 6.0.2)

LATER EDIT: Tried it all again and this time it worked on each device.

Not giving me a warm feeling.

Any idea why so erratic??

Thanks.

Last edited:
Steve,

I took all the devices home and using the 12 volt power cord (which mates the GDL 39 and the 796 together) hooked to a 12V power supply and then attached a USB cable from the 796 to my computer. Then if I open Garmin Pilot, Settings, GDL 39...it says I have firmware version 2.51 installed. When I leave Garmin Pilot and go to the GDL 39 Utility App it says Firmware Not Connected. Same for both iphone and ipad (iphone 5 btw and ipad 3 both with ios 6.0.2)

LATER EDIT: Tried it all again and this time it worked on each device.

Not giving me a warm feeling.

Any idea why so erratic??

Thanks.

Don,

The GDL39 has a 2 connection Bluetooth limit. Is it possible that this is being exceeded with your 3 devices?

I use G3X and all the portables with the GDL39 and those are all very solid in their operation. I don't personally have any experience using tablets and phones with the GDL39.

Please call in to the number below if you wish to reach some of the customer support people with the experience to help you.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi Steve,

You are truly doing yeomans work replying to this thread on New Years Eve:)

Upon further reflection I believe that having too many devices on via Bluetooth was a problem initially. Later I was careful to turn one of them off.

I think the big mistake I made was not doing what I did tonight initially and just installing the unit in the plane. The instructions did say better to do the setup at home. The Internet connection probably didn't hurt.

I plugged and unplugged and turned everything off and on several times and all seems to be working now.

I was particularly concerned about the iPhone connection since it will be thru that, that the GDL 39 gets its firmware updates. I don't use 4g on the iPad just a wifi hotspot connection.

I had the ES upgrade done on my GTX 330, cancelled XM and I'm eager to see it all pull together and work.

I really appreciate the input.

Thx.

Don,

Thanks for reporting back. Glad to hear everything is working well now.

The GDL39 software doesn't change very often now, so I am sure you will be fine with updating either via the phone or your Aera 796 when required.

Thanks,
Steve