Auburntsts

Well Known Member
So I've pretty much decided to pull the trigger on a GDL-39 (I have a G3X with GTX 23ES and I use GarminPilot on my tablet). The question is whether to go with the portable -39 or the remote mounted 39R. Any thoughts pro-con for either one?

I use the 39, but that's only because I move it between planes.

If you only fly your own plane, the 39R makes sense.

When I replaced my panel the GDL39R was not out yet. I remote mounted the GDL39 and never looked back.

One is optimized for portability but can be remote mounted. The connectors are not typical of permanent mounted devices.

The other is optimized for permanent remote mounted. It has more typical connectors that you would find behind the panel.

If I had no plans to use the unit in multiple planes, I would go with the GDL39R just because of the more robust connectors involved.

Last edited:
The 39 R might be slightly easier to mount, or maybe not. Even if that were the case, I don't know that it's enough so to justify the extra cost -- especially considering that slightly used GDL 39s are available for well under new list.

wishes

We went with the 39R only because it would be out of the way and we had chosen to put in a full Garmin system. I don't know for sure but it would have been nice to think the 39R had the 3D features. Can't complain the GDL-39R is a nice box and works very will in the set-up and operation of the Garmin system. Hope this helps, R.E.A. III #80888

I have a GDL 39, but planed to install the 39R in my new panel. After some research, once installed in your panel system they perform exactly the same. Only difference is the wire and antenna conectors that are use. If I had to buy one, I would go with the 39R. If you already have the portable, along with the mount bracket that was included, then save yourself the 800 dollars.