docsuresh

Connected GDL 39 to 696. Software updated on both. Device located on glareshield. RV7.
Weather works fine.
Traffic - only Air to Air appears to be working. Unable to get TIS ground to turn on (has a X on the screen against TIS). Am I doing something wrong? Some setting issue?

Thanks in advance.
Suresh
N765RV
RV7A

Suresh,

This is perfectly normal if you do not have some device on your aircraft transmitting ADS-B out. This can be either a Mode-S transponder with the ES option or a UAT.

If you have neither one of those working, then you will only receive the TIS-B signal if you are near another aircraft that is transmitting ADS-B out.

I suggest you go here to get more information:

Last edited:
ADS-B

There is a pretty good course available online at the ASF website. If you are going to rely on info using one of the current ADS-B receivers it will explain all aspects of their use. I think there was a test at the end so pay attention and absorb the contents!

Connected GDL 39 to 696. Software updated on both. Device located on glareshield. RV7.
Weather works fine.
Traffic - only Air to Air appears to be working. Unable to get TIS ground to turn on (has a X on the screen against TIS). Am I doing something wrong? Some setting issue?

From the GDL39 Users Manual:

"The FAA ground station will only broadcast TIS-B traffic that is within ?15 NM and ?3500 feet of an aircraft with ADS-B Out. To get the full benefits of ADS-B traffic it is recommended that the aircraft be equipped with an ADS-B transmitter (such as a GTX 330 w/ES)."

The ground station will only "wake-up" and transmit TIS-B when it is prompted by a properly equipped ADS-B OUT aircraft.

FWIW, other avionics manufacturers are strongly against using only ADS-B IN, without ADS-B OUT capability. Their concern is that you are receiving an incomplete traffic picture unless you also have ADS-B OUT.