celstar

Well Known Member
Can anyone tell me if the GDL 39 can be mounted under metal with just the antenna out in the open and still get bluetooth and gps reception?

I've got my GDL-39 attached to the back of the AL baggage wall. I have a transponder antennae on the belly, and a small remote GPS antenna mounted to the cross bar behind the seats. Works well in this location for me.

Hope this helps,
Jason

Similar setup to what was described. In my RV-8 the GDL-39 is mounted on the cockpit side of the forward baggage compartment with a DeltaPop antenna on the belly and a small GPS antenna under the cowl.

Last edited:
gdl 39

My gdl 39 is mounted under my RV 4 panel about six inches forward of the panel face. The transponder type antenna is mounted on the belly and the gps antenna is mounted on a horizontal plate that is under the upper cowl alongside my main gps antenna. The gdl is mounted top side down so I can easily reach under and reset if necessary (haven't needed to yet.) The bluetooth to my Ipad mini with Garmin pilot works fine. The gps signal is also good. My only comment is that at lower altitudes 3500 and below, the weather data can be fairly old. This has been addressed in other threads and is more of a function of the ads-b system.
Hope this helps.

So you guys are remote mounting two antennas when the unit is mounted under cover.

Similar setup to what was described. In my RV-8 the GDL-39 is mounted on the co moot side of the forward baggage compartment with a DeltaPop antenna on the belly and a small GPS antenna under the cowl.

My GDL39 is remote mounted under the front top skin of my tipper RV7. GPS antenna on the glare shield. Delta Pop ADS-B antenna on the belly under the pilot's legs in front of the spar box. Works great! BT works fine there.

Delta Pop ADS-B Antenna location?

I have the typical antenna setup on my -7 with the transponder on the left and the comms antenna on the right on the belly just forward of the spar, where would I mount the ADS-B antenna. Does it have to be a certain distance from the other antennas to prevent interference?
Currently have the GDL39 on the dash where it works fine.