humptybump

Well Known Member
I'm looking for recommendations on where to install the GDL 39 in an RV-8 if I don't want it mounted on the glair shield.

I plan to use both the GPS and the ADSB capabilities of the GDL 39.

Where have you mounted yours ? Pictures would be a bonus :)

Bumptyhump,

I hard wired mine and mounted it on the bulkhead in the baggage compartment.

I installed one of those doors to gain access behind the instrument panel from the baggage compartment and installed it on the right side in that area.

It was easy to install there since the GDL 39 is shaped like a triangle.

Hold the mounting bracket in that area and you will see it fits perfect.

I also remotely mounted the antenna on the bottom of the fuselage.

I have my GDL39 semi-permanently mounted behind the panel. It can be removed relatively easily if need be, but my plan is to leave it there all of the time. I mounted a GPS antenna for the GDL39 under the cowl, and an external ADS-B In antenna on the inboard inspection plate under the left wing. The setup works really well.

So it sounds like to route it to buy a GPS antenna an an ADSB antenna and then remote the GDL 39.

Any recommendations on the antennas?

The cheap one from Garmin works good for the GPS antenna, DeltaPop UAT antenna for the ADS-B. (it has a wide enough bandwidth to handle the 1090 as well)

LOL, I don't know th story behind Glen's screen name but I'm sure it has nothing to do with humping. :D

TK - I knew that would get you away from the turkey!

HB - I did what Brantel suggested. When Stein sent me my GDL39 he sent me a UAT ant and the Garmin GPS ant.

The only thing I had on my glare shield is a GPS ANT for my G3X, when I positioned my new little Garmin GPS ant next to and up against the G3X ant it caused interference and I kept losing my GPS signal. So keep them at least a foot apart.

LOL, I don't know th story behind Glen's screen name

Aerobatic pilots should have the answer ... http://www.iac.org/begin/figures.html#Humpty-Bump

As for the original topic of this thread, I'm going to opt for a "shelf" under the cowl for the GPS antenna(s) and then measure back on the belly to find a suitable spot for an ADS-B external antenna. (Joy of joys, I get to pull the floor panels ... again.)

Last edited:
I'm looking for recommendations on where to install the GDL 39 in an RV-8 if I don't want it mounted on the glair shield.

I plan to use both the GPS and the ADSB capabilities of the GDL 39.

Where have you mounted yours ? Pictures would be a bonus :)

How about this!

C- 105 TXP antenna is mounted just fwd of the tailspring, that skin is very rigid and did not require a doubler. Works great!

Hi Jon,

Nice install. The two challenges with a tail location install is here to install the GPS antenna and then extended other bare wire harness back to the panel.

If I go with the gdl 39 up near the panel, the bare wire harness can be used "as is" and the GPS antenna lead will be long enough to reach forward to the cowl.

The interesting realization for my panel redux is just how much "extra" stuff is happening - and as I WSAA buyer not a builder, I am having to aquire lots of things that builders already have such as metal working tools, riveting tools, scraps of aluminum for making brackets, etc. I'm enjoying the project buts its probably 2-3x the effort of just the electrical wiring of the panel.

What's clear to me from this thread is that the GDL-39 can be remotely mounted. I?m also assuming I only need access to the button on the unit to pair the Bluetooth. I?m unsure how the on/off function is controlled remotely. I?ll be installing a dual screen G3X and will hard wire the -39 to the G3X (I think). Bottom line is I want it off my glare shield.
Many thanks in advance

The GDL 39 Bluetooth need only go thru the pairing steps once per device. On subsequent power-up, the device and GDL 39 connect automatically.

As for "turning on" the GDL 39 when it's remotely mounted, you have two options. By default, the GDL 39 will power up automatically when curent is applied. Alternately, if you want to control the power up process of the GDL 39, the bare wire harness does has a switch control lead.

I mounted mine

Forward of the Throttle, Mixture levers flat on the console. I can see the power indicator light from the front seat and the bluetooth light when my Ipad Mini is connected. I haven't hooked up a remote antenna yet but reception is ok from the stock antenna in this location. Compared to a friends RV 9A with his gdl 39 antenna mounted on the bottom of his plane, I recieve half or a little better of the ground stations he does. Its worth remote mounting but still works.

Randy
8A

What's clear to me from this thread is that the GDL-39 can be remotely mounted. I?m also assuming I only need access to the button on the unit to pair the Bluetooth. I?m unsure how the on/off function is controlled remotely. I?ll be installing a dual screen G3X and will hard wire the -39 to the G3X (I think). Bottom line is I want it off my glare shield.
Many thanks in advance

Bob and Glen,

With regards to needing access to the GDL39 power button to pair new Bluetooth units (once for each new device), there is help on the way.

We don't have a release date yet, but we are testing a new version of the GDL39 software that will put it into Bluetooth pairing mode the first two minutes after remote power up so you never have to access the button on a remotely mounted GDL39 to pair new devices.

Just cycle the power on the GDL39 and pair new devices during the first two minutes and you are set.

As far as the remote on/off function, that is simple. Just give it power and it comes on just like any other avionics device.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
How about this!

C- 105 TXP antenna is mounted just fwd of the tailspring, that skin is very rigid and did not require a doubler. Works great!

jthocker and others,
Do any of you that have remoted the GDL 39 have any trouble with Bluetooth reception with a tablet computer on the instrument panel?

jthocker and others,
Do any of you that have remoted the GDL 39 have any trouble with Bluetooth reception with a tablet computer on the instrument panel?

Tony,
No problems blue toothing in my location, pairs to my iPad or android phone just fine.