n700jl

Well Known Member
Does anyone know if the GDL 39 will display TFR's on the G3X? I know that it will do weather and traffic but I can not find any info on TFR's. Thank you!

Does anyone know if the GDL 39 will display TFR's on the G3X? I know that it will do weather and traffic but I can not find any info on TFR's. Thank you!

Hello Jon,

Absolutely! Just like with the portable products, G3X will display TFRs provided by the GDL39 ADS-B receiver.

Thanks,
Steve

Not all TFrs...

We were flying back from Oregon to SF Bay Area and, fortunately, I had done a careful briefing with foreflight before leaving (and through DUATS). There were lots of fire TFRs along the route and we had to thread our way around them.

In the air I powered up the GDL-39 with Garmin Pilot and NONE of the fire TFRs showed up. Just the airspace/POTUS/Military TFRs.

So, heads up, check the official sources. I also check tfr.faa.gov on the ground just before I depart.

Neil

There are also a couple Fire TFR's in Oregon. While flying Saturday one of them popped up on my 696 with GDL right away that was probably 100 miles away. I was actually headed straight towards another one which was next to my destination which didn't show up. I was flying with a friend who had XM and it did show up on his 696. As I approached the TFR it did finally pop up when I was probably within 30 miles. So perhaps in your case it would have showed up eventually if you would have got close enough.

My guess is that the 696 & GDL was only displaying the data it was getting from the FIS-B ground stations. So there was probably a delay in getting the information from the ground stations or I had to get closer before receiving the data from a ground station for the TFR showed up. No matter, as I had plenty of time to avoid the TFR once displayed. I've noticed that free FIS-B data is not as good as XM, but it's free.