Jesse

Well Known Member
I am gauging interest in having a fly-in in Watersmeet, MI, in the UP of Michigan. We are staying up here with some friends and I can't help thinking that this would be a perfect place for a fly-in. I keep thinking about Triple Tree and think this would be a great place to have a similar type of event for those in the north, probably in mid to late September.

The place we are staying is the Northwoods Conference Center, 72MI. It has a mile-long paved runway and a lodge right next to the runway that can sleep as many as 230 people. Camping would also be an option. They have a full commercial kitchen, so 3 meals a day would be available. There is a big private lake behind the lodge for fishing, canoeing, kayaking and swimming. There is a 3.7 mile road around the lake for on-road biking or hiking, and there are miles and miles of bike and hiking trails. The setting is amazingly beautiful.

The lodge also has a gym with a volleyball net, a big auditorium, a big lobby with couches and chairs, a 2-lane bowling alley (out of order right now, but hopefully fixed by Sept) and a game room.

The cost per room is $50/night and each normal room has 2 twin beds and a private bathroom, so it would cost $25/night/person for the room. There are suites available for families, but I don't know the costs right now. Meals are all buffet meals (whoever organizes it can pick the menu), and are $7/person for breakfast and lunch and $9/person for dinner. So, for $50/day/person you could enjoy a relaxing time with a bunch of other airplane people. I am sure whoever organizes the event may opt to have some kind of registration fee to cover organization costs, but the above mentioned fees cover all of the costs of the conference center. Those choosing to camp next to their planes would just pay for meals and registration costs, if any.

The conference center is waned and operated by a Christian ministry, so they don't allow any alcoholic beverages on the grounds.

I may or may not be a part of it, but just thought I would gauge interest that others may have for what I think would be a perfect setting for a long weekend fly-in.

Sounds like a great place, but for me, Vetterman's fly in in South Dakota, being around the same time of year is a bigger draw as I have been wanting to do it for years. (plus, I can personally get into UPERland pretty easily from where I live. And, South Dakota has better scenery for flying. Course, if you pull it together, I might fly up for a day just for the RV fellowship! :)

Now that you mention it though, I think I need to make a pasty run!

Put me down as a maybe. I doubt I'll have an airworthy airplane by then, but we will be relocated to SE Michigan, and my wife LOVES the UP, and probably wouldn't be opposed to driving up, as long as we aren't in the middle of closing on or moving into a house.