idleup

Well Known Member
I was amazed when I was pricing out 2-1/4" guages to backup my EFIS on my panel and saw the prices... Can someone explain to me why a single 2" ASI is worth $3,500?! (Mid-Continent)

Anyway, I reading a lot of postings on here that were pretty critical of Falcon and UMA I have determined they are the bottom of the line and are about a couple hundred bucks apiece...

So my question is what brands are considered good but not so pricey? and what vendors have others had good pricing/experience with when it comes to their steam gauges? It appears Vans only sells the above mentioned brands...

Using full size United

United gauges are more than UMA, but not as much as the small Mid-Cont stuff. I'm planning on 3.25 AS, ALT & VSI to backup my GRT. Still thinking about the backup AI.

Vans Gauges

Been thinking about getting Vans engine monitoring gauges-any comments?
Any experience with the UMA altimeter, airspeed indicator, VSI?

A bit of clarification please.

Mel said:
Falcon, yes. I've not had any problems with UMA.

Mel, are you saying that "Yes, I have had problems with Falcon gages", or are you saying "Yes, Falcon gages are good".

The original question by Matt was, "what gages are good but not too pricy", and I am having a bit of trouble determining what you are addressing.

Thanks, Mike

I personally have not had experience with Falcon gauges. I've never had one. I have heard of problems with them. I have had UMA and have not had problems with them. Sorry for the confusion.

This maybe painfully obvious... why not another efis as a backup.. would probrably be cheaper than all the steam guages.

M

And the simple answer is ----

skidmk said:
This maybe painfully obvious... why not another efis as a backup.. would probrably be cheaper than all the steam guages.

M

Trust.

I have just bought a partially completed project, builder had elected to put in a full glass panel, dual GRT+ dual AHRS and magnetometers. No round gages at all. Full redundancy.

I intend on installing at least an airspeed, altimeter, and mag compass. None of these use semi trained electrons, confined in a narrow path, to make them work. Coupled with my two eyes, and seat of the pants feeling, I have all I really need to fly VFR, which is what I do anyway.

My personal comfort level requires this.

Mike

Gary Bricker

I have the Dynon 100 and uma alt and vsi. They are very close to the Dyon with the readings and no problem. Only a few hrs

Gary-Have been thinking about getting the Dynon 100-Any problems with getting it up and running or any problems since u got it up and running? Did u buy or make the harness for it?

Update on MGL TC-3 6-cylinder EGT/CHT.

I installed this unit on my flying RV-9A. For $265, my expectations were low.

Install was a breeze (but not all the info you need is in the guide), and setup was easy (even in flight). I installed 4 sets of egt and 4 sets of cht for my O-320, replacing a manual selector switch.

I'll admit to be very impressed in flight on how well this worked. It's nice to see all the temps at once without fiddling. Since I run at peak egt/best econ, it's nice to have all of the information at hand.

All you guys with fancy engine monitors will be chuckling, but this is an excellent upgrade. I use it with my Rocky Mountain uMonitor, and it integrates nicely by tying the alarm output of the MGL TC-3 into the uMonitor. I had a spare 3" hole in the panel that I could use (thinking ahead, I guess).

The instrument cost is less than the probes!

Tried Winter?

In my experience both Falcon flight instruments and Van's engine gauges are not very reliable. Winter make good quality 2 1/4" flight instruments, available from wingsandwheels.com and others.

Pete